Chapter 5

“How long will you be gone?” my grandpa asks.

            I shrug my shoulders. “I might be home late.”

            My grandpa takes a deep breath staring at me for a little bit.

            “Okay, you can go to the pier.” He finally agrees.

            “Aww thank you grandpa!” I jump up and hug him.

            “Yeah yeah. But you better not be with boys.”

            I pull away staring at him. I laugh. “Me with boys? Right… Nice one grandpa.” I smile.

            My grandparents don’t know I’m gay. I don’t really plan on telling them unless I get a girlfriend.

            “You are responsible. But be safe.” He gives me a warm smile.

            “I will.”

            Its 3:30 and I’m supposed to meet Gabby at 5:00. I don’t know what to wear. She told me to wear a swim suit just in case though. 

            I begin going through my dresser, and I hold different outfits up in the mirror to see which I like the best. I eventually go through all of my clothes and I stare at my bed. Really? I take a deep breath. I swear ever since I met Gabby I have been so paranoid. I stress over texting her, seeing her, and now what to wear around her. Usually I wear my hair up in a hair clip when I’m chillin’, but she makes me want to put make-up on and everything. I know that I could never look as beautiful as her though with her make-up.

            I stare at my bed for a while. Come on Haylie, this can’t be too hard. Wear something…. Something nice but not too nice. That sounds stupid.

            I glance over at a pair of shorts that are a little bit above mid thigh and I turn away. I pause for a moment and glance back at them. I can wear … my black off the shoulder top and these light blue washed colored shorts and of course my two-piece bathing suit underneath. I may not be pretty, but I know how to dress.

            I’m so excited for tonight. I haven’t been to a firework show in sooo long now I get to spend it with Gabby, so that makes it even better.

            Now that I think about it, I think I might tell her about how I feel. It’s worth a shot right? Like my mom said, if she rejects me it’s only a step closer to the “one”. Sometimes I want to disagree with that because I want Gabby to be the “one”. I don’t know what I’ll do. I’ve never had my heart broken, so I don’t know what’ll happen.

            I take all of my clothes off and I put my bathing suit on. I spray deodorant spray, and then I put my perfume on. I slide my shorts up, and I put my shirt on. I stare in the mirror fixing my hair styling it. No matter what I do, it’ll always look emo-ish. But I kind of like it. Last but not least I put eyeliner and mascara on. Why do I feel like I’m going on a date tonight? Weird.

            I look over at the clock and open my eyes wide. It’s 4:30, damn! I need to hurry up and go. I always lose track of time when I’m worrying about something to do with Gabby.

            I grab my phone putting it in the back of my shorts pocket, and I slip on my flip flops running downstairs. “Bye grandma and grandpa!” I yell as I go out the front door. I didn’t wait to hear them say bye back. I run to my bike, and start pedaling to the beach. I always ride my bike, because it’s peaceful and everything is close to my grandparent’s house. My legs are very muscular, because I have always ridden my bike to places.