Recovery Road

Here's the new official chapter. Enjoy!
————————————————————————————

The next day started off with another busy morning of school. Jean and Scott both got up early enough to eat breakfast before class. They sat alone in one of the tables in the dining hall.

Scott Summers picks up a piece of eggs with his fork and studies it. "You know what I wonder? When hens lay their eggs, how can they tell there's no chick inside? Are you sure this isn't just a dead baby bird?"

The redhead raises her eyebrow. "Does it bother you that much?"

"Hey, I'm just wondering how they do. You know, Alex hated eggs." Jean looks back at the boy, stunned by the first mention of his deceased brother. "He didn't like cheese either yet he ate cheeseburgers."

Five days ago, Scott had returned from home. Since the apocalypse event, he went straight home to inform his parents of Alex's demise. His mother broke down in tears as his father held her. They held a funeral but didn't have a body to bury. Before and after the funeral, Scott simply stayed in his room with nothing but memories of his big brother to keep him company.

He tries his best not to cry. If there was anything Scott doesn't want people to see, it was his weakness. Jean simply took his hand in hers. "I'm sorry about him, Scott."

He looks up at her and mumbles, "It just feels like he's out of town. Sometimes I wanna call him. Then, I remember he's not gonna answer." It took a moment until he went back to poking at his eggs.

Without his permission, Jean takes a glimpse into his memories. It was like flipping through channels on the TV. At first, she envisions a young boy with blue eyes saying to her, "Come on, Scotty, I'll race you."

Then, it switches to the same boy but around middle school age. However, he was in snowy background with other kids. "Okay, Scott, when I said go, we're gonna throw all the snowballs at them. Ready, set , go!"

Once again, it switches to the boy again. Only this time, he was a teenager with longer arms and legs, and shaggy hair in a leather jacket. She could seen him in the driver seat of a car, leaning over to kiss a girl in the passenger seat. He turns back and chuckles, "Just wait, Scotty. One day, you're not gonna think it's gross."

Jean then snaps back to reality and stares at Scott, who was shoving food in his mouth.

"Morning, roomies." Peter startled them.

The young adult steps into the dining hall on his crutches and sat next to his younger friends. Even though his leg was broken, Peter Maximoff was still on his feet, performing his new duties on the school custodian.

"Morning," Scott murmurs.

"Hey, Peter." Jean responded. She then notices his droopy eyelids and his yawning. "You alright? It looks like you didn't sleep."

For a moment, Peter rubs his eyes. "I barely slept last night."

"Not used to your new room?"

"No, my room's next door to Hank's and he snores loud. It's like sleeping next to a Kodiak bear."

His joke made the teenagers giggle. Before he could tell another joke, Ororo walks into the dining hall with her notebook in her hands.

"Hey, guys," the girl with white hair says.

"Hey, Ororo." Jean smiles.

"Morning." Peter says as he chews on the bacon he snatched from Scott's plate.