Berneice sat her down at the table and waved away any thought of help.

“Oh no dear, let me. I like doing odd human things again. I feel like a mother.” She was beaming away placing a plate down and a glass and finally coming to the table with pots filled with the most deliciously smelling food Lily had ever smelled.

“This smells delicious.” She commented.

“Oh I was a good cook. My mother taught me well and made my suitors come round for a meal that I had cooked in order to, hopefully, make them fall for me and ask for my hand in marriage. She thought a man needed a good meal and they would like a woman to provide that for them.”

“Thank you for making me dinner.”

“Not at all my dear, not at all.”

Perttu greeted his father and left the women to it.

“How was it?” He asked his father.

“Ah very good, very good. I am afraid you may be angry at me. I took her to the water feature. I hope you don’t mind but I feel that it did wonders. You may find her not moping in that chair again but I forbid you to keep her locked in this house any longer. Treat her well, woo her and let her breathe fresh air! She took such a breath when she stepped out it was as if she hadn’t breathed in days!”

“I’m sorry father; I just fear her running from me, or being taken.”

“She is not a toy to be kept in a single room and ogled at day in day out. She’s a woman who needs freedom. Do not forget that, or her mind will recognise only the cage she lives in and depression will no doubt get to her.”

                Feeling foolish for his treatment of her Perttu led his father to one of the sitting rooms.

“She liked it then?” He sounded so hopeful and also very doubting.

“Your work, my son, is astonishing. She loved it, as I do, and as anyone who looked at you mastery would.”

“You are bias, you’re my father and meant to tell me that.”

“I am your father but also a man, if your skill was not good I would advise you to occupy your time with other pursuits. Don’t underestimate me. And don’t overestimate my affection for you. I won’t let you be led on like a fool.”
“Thank you father. Tell, how do you like Finland?”

“Ah it’s beautiful!” And his father was off, telling him all the beautiful things that Finland had to offer and declaring he would live there for as long as he lived. Which could be a millennia for all anyone knew. The exact life span of a vampire was unknown.

“I am glad you like it father.”

“You will have to come visit us there. Bring Lily when she is changed. I think she will love it!”