Different Brains

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Given that some theories behind E/I invoke a neurobiological explanation, scientists have long tried to find experimental evidence for these theories.

And let's be clear: There have been tons of neuroscience studies conducted on E/I over the years, many of which show that the brains of introverts and extroverts really are different.

Back in 1999, scientists measured the cerebral blood flow of introverted and extroverted people with positron emission tomography (PET) scans while they thought freely.

They found that the introverts had more blood flow in their frontal lobes and anterior thalamus — brain regions involved with recalling events, making plans and solving problems.

Extroverts had more blood flow in brain areas involved with interpreting sensory data, including the anterior cingulate gyrus, the temporal lobes and the posterior thalamus.

The data suggested —as Jung believed — that the extroverts' attention focused outwards and the introverts' attention focused inwards.

Research has also shown that introverts have more neuronal activity than extroverts in brain regions associated with learning, motor control and vigilance control, and that their premotor cortexes process external stimuli more quickly.

External activities excite extroverts, while ideas and inner reflection stimulate introverts, writes clinical psychologistLaurie Helgoe, Ph.D, in her book Introvert Power: Why Your Inner Life Is Your Hidden Strength. 

In it, she notes that introverts tend to have busier brains than extroverts.

“Brain imaging studies have shown that when introverts and extroverts respond to external stimulation,

introverts have more activity in the regions of the brain that process information, make meaning and problem solve,” she said.

This may explain why introverts need solitude and time to self-reflect in order to analyze ideas and think things through.

Studies have also suggested that the brains of extroverts pay more attention to human faces than the brains of introverts.

In fact, researchers have found that the brains of introverts respond to faces in a similar way that they respond to images of flowers, whereas the extroverts' brains show a stronger response to faces

— this suggests that human faces, or people in general, hold more significance to extroverts (which, perhaps, partially explains why they seek out other people's company).

A/N: Now, I guess you already know about what’s your personality type. And in a same way, you can now also detect the personality of the persons around you, right?  Whatever type you lean toward, embrace it and feel entitled to be yourself. :)

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░