timeless

In the quiet of the morning hours –or were it seconds –, before the drugs dragged his already foggy mind just a little more and more into nothingness, he felt a heartbeat in the cold corpse. That corpse, his own body to be specific, existed. He could feel it. Feel with it. And the heartbeat was an indicator, too. Must be, if he only knew for what. And there was something else. Someone, maybe? A hand, a voice, but so far away in the mist.

Seconds turned into minutes, minutes into weeks, weeks into hours, hours into days, days into a lifetime, a lifetime into an eternity and this eternity back into seconds. Time didn't have meaning any more. Its sole existence was debatable. All was just a blur until time was even more abstract then ever and room was only endless nothingness. Could room even exist without time? But maybe they were past all this, past time, past room. Falling and yet floating. Dying yet living.

Only they were left in this nothingness. Wasn't this how it always should have been. Patroclus and Achilles conquering Troy alone. Not that they were two any more. There were no lines between them. Blurred. Conjoined. One. It had been their becoming of oneness. A dragon slain, a soul saved, a couple made. Wasn't that how fairy tales are supposed to end.

But this isn't the end, Will wondered. Because they did exist. It's not over. If they exist it can't be the end.

He opened his eyes while the shards gathered themselves together. Time and room came back and formed this new world Will woke up to. A new world tied to the old one only by memories... and scars. Reminding him that the past was real, after all. He blinked at the light. Rays of sun were painting a mosaic on the devil's face and made him look like an angel. Made it look as if the devil never ceased to be an angel. As if he had never fallen. The devil stirred in his sleep.

Untrusting of his limps, Will reached for him with his voice instead, "Hannibal"

When the devil opened his eyes –after he heard its name spoken – his eyes shone more radiant then all the suns and stars in the sky. And looking into his soul the man named Will knew the creature before him was neither devil nor angel, but a man like him. The only man like him and completely at his mercy.

"I'm glad you're alive", and he meant it.