Chapter 2: It Stings!

Start from the beginning

Immediately I nodded understanding him. "Like me and my handkerchief. Something you're used to having by your side everyday suddenly not there."

Thorin chuckled, "didn't Dwalin give you another one?"

"It was ripped from his clothing. Dirty I may add." I scrunched up my face slightly remember it.

"Someone sounds ungrateful." Thorin smirked. I Laughed to myself, shaking my head as if to dismiss his comment. He knew I was grateful, but for him to have a joking side, it was kind of unexpected.

“Come on boys.” Gandalf called, alerting everyone it was time to begin this hike of ours. Quickly, I left Thorin’s side going to get my bag, throwing it onto my back. Following behind the trail of Dwarves, I found myself last.

I’d wanted to walk along side of Thorin, or maybe Kili and Fili, even Gandalf. Though they’d showered me in hugs, saved me countless numbers of times, I still felt a bit left out.

I sighed wondering how long was it going to take for us to get into the Bleak forest of Mirkwood. We had already started walking 40 minutes ago, and from the campsite last night the destination looked pretty close.

“If only you had your Pony.” Thorin’s chuckle glided with ease through my ears as I glanced at him. He was now beside me, matching his pace to mine. I couldn’t help but slightly smile at him though I knew he was teasing.

“I’m fine with walking.” I stated glancing ahead. We were close to the entrance, but something didn’t feel quite right. The closer we got the more my legs grew heavier to pick up.

“What’s the matter?’ Thorin asked causing the group to slightly slow in walk and turn their attentions towards me. I Looked at every single one of them until I found one missing.

“Where’s Gandalf?” I forced through my dry throat. In confusion, they all turned to search for him, Dwalin shrugging and stating he maybe have went ahead like usual. Though Gandalf was no where in sight, the dwarves continued ahead into the forest.

Gently, Thorin’s hand brushed over mines, his fingers sliding up the sleeve of my thin coat as I glanced at him. Pulling me close, he brought his lips to my ear, his scruffled on his chin tickling my cheek. I shivered slightly at his breath. “Stay close, and don’t leave my side.” He whispered.

Nodding, I moved a bit closer making it harder to walk a normal path and staying close at the same time. Regardless, Thorin continued to walk with me through this lightless forest. For some reason, no matter how long we walked, or how far we’ve gotten, through the leaves and trees, we couldn’t see one once of sunlight.

Besides being cold like everyone else, I was pretty warm though that didn’t really help. If only a goblin or orc was by then I could use the light from my sword a bit.

“What's that!?” Someone whispered sharply and i’m sure by now it was Kili’s voice. Following his way, we glanced up at some camp lights.