Part 5

Frank led the way to the end of the hall, pointing to his own office on the way. It was fairly spacious, well lit and neatly organized. A narrow window gave him a view of the fountain in front of the building. He didn't have much in the way of personal belongings other than a picture of himself with his parents and a photo of a pretty blonde with two children. The older of the two boys looked a lot like Frank. He didn't miss her lingering look at the photo.

"My younger sister and her boys. That's Sean and Patrick." He pointed to the one who looked like him first. "Her husband was with me in Iraq. He didn't make it back."

"I'm so sorry."

He shrugged, sliding around her out the door. "Sometimes good people die." He rushed to another door, unlocking it. "This is you."

The room was at least five degrees colder than his office or the hallway. Marka shivered. Tucking her hands into her armpits, she walked in. The room was almost as big as Frank's office with a small window overlooking the lawn, currently brown from the cold.

"This is nice," she said. "Cold, but nice."

"You can go up and get a jacket," Frank told her. "Maybe change into slacks."

"I might just do that. Maybe I'll order a pair of battery operated socks while I'm at it."

He laughed, nodding. "Yeah. I used to tease Emily about that. I even bought her a pair, but she never used them."

"Foolish woman." She shivered again.

Frank slipped off his jacket and hung it around her shoulders.

"Thanks." The jacket was warm from his body and smelled like his cologne. It was a nice scent, outdoorsy, fresh and sporty.

"Check your desk. See if there's anything you need. If you do, call supply and they'll bring you whatever. If we don't have it, we can get it fast. There's an office store in town. They deliver too. The number's on the sheet on the desk."

"What sheet on the desk?"

He pulled out a sliding panel. Taped and laminated to the wooden surface was a list of numbers. Some were typed on, others written in a bold, feminine hand.

"Emily was very well organized," he said quietly.

"What happened to her?"

"Husband got transferred. They moved to Texas."

"You liked her, didn't you?" Her tone was teasing, but the remark hit rather too close to home.

"We worked together. She was a nice lady. We got along." He headed toward the door.

Marka caught his elbow. "Sorry. Not my business. You seem to miss her."

"I don't have a lot of friends," he replied quietly. "Emily was a friend."

A friend for whom you bought battery operated socks? One whose desk you know as well as your own?

"I've got some calls to make. I'll see you later. Lunch?" Frank made an effort to sound cheerful.

"I'd like that."

"Okay. Well, if I don't see you before that, I'll meet you at noon."

"Here, or the cafeteria?"

"Here. I thought we'd find something other than cafeteria food for lunch."

"Sounds good. Thanks, Frank. You're totally making my first day."

"Making it what?" He paused, expression questioning. The twinkle in his dark brown eyes told her he was teasing.

"Smarty."

He saluted her and left.

Mr. Penwarren was in his office when he returned. Frank opened the door to a gimlet stare. Taking a step back, Frank eyed the door, his glance moving to Mr. Penwarren, who was sitting in his chair behind his desk. The chubby, older man glared at him, his fingers steepled in front of his lips.

"You're late."

"Some reason you're in my chair?" He stood next to the desk, staring down at Ralph Penwarren.

Penwarren rose slowly, moving ponderously out of Frank's way.

"You caused some trouble for one of my housekeepers last night," Frank stated without preamble. "She's not the maid and my people aren't at your disposal for you to order around on a whim."

"The room was filthy."

"The room was fine. You resented having to pay for a guest room, so you took it out on her."

"You told me we'd go see my mother this morning."

"I did. Though I didn't specify a time. I have things to do, Mr. Penwarren. I'm not at your disposal either."

"I thought the sooner we could get this settled—"

"Yes. I agree."

"Only you weren't in your office. Where have you been for the last hour?"

"None of your business. As it happens, I can give you fifteen minutes. That should be long enough to talk to your mother and get this straightened out. You can visit with her for a little while."

© Dellani Oakes

To Purchase Dellani's Books: http://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=Dellani+Oakes