2 - Escape

I sit in the backseat with my suitcase and backpack sitting next to me. Mommy is driving and crying. I dont know what happened, but I dont want to upset her, so I dont ask.

Mommy's favourite band is playing on the radio. She says that they are really good. They are called Green Day. I wonder why they are called that.

She used to sit with me in the living room next to the fireplace and play them on her phone. We would listen to them and she would talk to me.

The car continues down the highway. I think to myself about where we could be going. What about Dad? He scares me. I hope he isnt coming with us.

"Mommy, where are we going?" I ask her, curiousty taking over. She sniffles and waits a second before responding.

"We're going to go stay at Joy's house. Is that okay, Mikey baby?" She answers me after turning down the stereo. I love Joy, she's my mommy's best friend. And everytime we go tbere, I get to play with her son, Calum.

"Yay! Can I play with Calum?" I ask, suddenly excited.

"Of course, baby." She responds and puts in a cd into the car stereo. More Green Day plays.

I dig into my suitcase and pull out a colouring book of Scooby-Doo. I pull out my markers too and start a new colouring page. When I finish my colouring page, I write "To: Calum From: Mikey :)". I tuck the page carefully back into my bag.

We park in Joy's driveway and I jump out of my seat. I'm so excited. I run over to my mom's door and open it for her. I act like a chauffeur and hold out my hand to help her out of the car.

Calum's puppy, Bear, comes outside to greet us. He jumps around in the snow and wags his tail. I bend down to pet him and he licks my hand. I follow Bear inside and Mom follows me.

As soon as we walk in, Joy engulfs us into a big hug. When we seperate, she bends down and kisses my forehead. She tells me to bring my stuff up to Calum's room and get settled. Her and my mom go into the sitting room and talk.

I walk up the stairs and into Calum's room. He looks up from his book that he's reading on his bed. His eyes light up when he sees me and I get really happy.

"Mikey!!" Calum yells in excitement and jumps up off his bed. He comes over to me and hugs me. I havent seen him in awhile.

"Hi, Cal!" I say back and hug him, slightly lifting him up off the ground. "I'm gonna be staying here with you for awhile!!"

"With me? Yay!! I'm so excited! Like a never-ending sleepover!" Calum says and hugs me again.

I smile and hug him back. He grabs my stuff and opens the bag, revealing the colouring page I made for him.

"This is for me?" He asks while looking at it. He looks back at me and I nod. He smiles and tapes the page to his wall, above his bed. This makes me happy.

Calum is my best friend.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

to clear up any confusion, in the past two chapters and the next few, calum and mikey are both 6 years old.