Before the Accident

Nancy Strange was a very shy girl of 15 years, to say the least. She always kept to herself a lot and didn't make any friends at school. The only friend she had was her younger twin sister Naomi, who was very outspoken, with blonde haired and had blue eyes. Both girls were very studious, always had straight A's in class, and had skipped a grade or two. A lot of people would say they took after their mother and father, and would get teased a lot for how studious they were.

They went inside the waiting area where they would always usually would get homework done, and would meet their mother outside when she was done with whoever needed neurosurgery.

Nancy and Naomi always remembered her beautiful and svelte mother, Christine Palmer. Her hair, her hazel eyes, the way she always stayed calm in situations as a doctor. With their father, it was kind of hazy. His black wavy hair like Nancy's, was always neat, and it had grey on the sides. His blue eyes, much like both girls were always in intense concentration. She'd see him sometimes but he was often very busy.

Everyone knew the name Stephen Strange. He was an accomplished neurosurgeon, but the same couldn't be said about being a dad. Far too often, he worked most of the time, missing birthdays and special events in the twins' lives. Last year, he missed their black belt tests because he had to work on another patient.

But Nancy by now was used to it. Her mother often complained about it, but Nancy? Nope. Her mother always came to her events. Karate lessons, theater classes, and field day at school. Naomi on the other hand remained optimistic about their father.

Nancy and Naomi finished up their homework when they both caught sight of the parents talking.

Nancy brushed a long strand of dark wavy hair away from her face. Naomi did likewise with her blonde hair.

Their mother came to them when she noticed her baby girls in the hallway. Her dad glanced back and went his way.

"Hey, sweeties. How was school?" Christine asked.

"It was good. Not much happened today." Nancy answered quietly.

"A fight happened at lunch today, but other than that, it was pretty boring." Naomi added.

"I've talked to your father. You'll be staying with him this weekend. I have some stuff to do around my house so...uh...you have my number right?" Her mom explained.

"Yeah." Nancy nodded. The last time both stayed at dad's place, they studied, and nothing more. They were always left alone, and since the age of six, they had been cooking on the stovetop to prepare meals for themselves while dad was at work.

"Okay. Get going, and meet your dad after he gets done with his last patient, okay?"

Nancy nodded. Naomi also shook her head yes.

While in the car, Nancy and Naomi kept studying, their father kept getting calls to do neurosurgery on other patients. Not a word was said to each other.

At last her father left for a Neurological Society dinner, and Nancy prepared spaghetti and meatballs for herself and for Naomi, cleared their dishes and pots, studied again, watched some of Once Upon a Time on Netflix, and then went to bed.

Nancy sighed as she got comfortable in the sheets. It would always be the same. Her father always working. But nothing would prepare her and Naomi, or her father for that matter, for what would happen next.