Her head had dipped down and now Gavriel gently lifts her chin with his fingers. His expression softens and a little guilt grows in his eyes, eyes so similar to his brother's. "I apologise. I should not have mentioned him."

"Gavriel." She shrinks back forcing his hand to drop from where it had hovered near her face. "I have much to pack and many people to say goodbye to. I have no time for your games."

"Again I must apologise. This is no game." He speaks assuredly. "Would you consider becoming my wife?" She rapidly pales and snatches her hand from his grasp. She takes two steps back for good measure. Gavriel remains where he is, not wishing to frighten her further.

"I must have misheard. You did not just ask me to become your wife." She speaks quickly, the words rushing from her mouth. "I do not believe we could even call each other friends; acquaintances would be pushing it." Then she suddenly steps forward and places her hand across his forehead. Gavriel's mouth twitches, his eyes filling with amusement. The cold grey depths get some warmth. Hers, however, only show concern. "You do not appear to have a fever. Do you have a headache? Are you feeling faint?" She rushes to ask. Gavriel laughs and carefully removes her hand from his head.

"I am within my right mind. I no longer suffer from any affects from the poison. I have thought much about this and I would like you to be my wife." Dawn glances around, now feeling as if she is being mocked. Gavriel waits patiently for it to sink in that he is being perfectly serious.

"Gavriel." She says carefully, his name leaving her mouth with hesitation. "What has brought this on? This morning you were not intending to propose. Something has happened and I feel I have a right to know."

"My siblings are no longer in the running to rule these lands. Lord Kier has told me that I must prove myself before he can happily relinquish them to me. His terms are that I find myself a wife, a good one who will loyally stand by my side."

"There are many beautiful maidens in these lands. You would simply need to hold a dance in order for them to come in flocks. You are being impulsive thinking that I am the only choice. Sleep on it and you will realise that my words are true."

"I am fully aware that there are many young women that I can choose from." Dawn stifles a roll of her eyes at his proud words. "But I know that so many would struggle to survive within these walls. My family is manipulative and cold. They will crush anyone who is weak. My wife must be strong and I cannot guarantee that these women who could come would be. They could appear to be, I will grant you that, but they may crumble under the pressure of this family."

"You speak as if you are not one of them." Dawn answers sharply, her eyes widening, her skin paling further at her thoughtless words. Gavriel grins smugly.

"I apologise, again. I am indeed one of them and I need a wife who can answer me and challenge me. I need someone to match me."

"I am not like you. I cannot tolerate the cruelty I see coming easily from you. I cannot agree with how your family gets what they want. I am not your match." Dawn answers now, braver because of his lack of anger.

"I am not looking for my copy. You are good and you are kind. You will balance me out and together we can rule these lands. Do you not want to influence your friends' lives for the better?" Gavriel taunts.

"You speak as if you will listen to me. You speak as if you will treat me as an equal. I do not see that playing out. I know you Gavriel, as you said we have grown up together. If I disagree with you, you will ignore me and do exactly what you wish. Find someone else, someone that your mother will approve and all will go well."

"My mother's rule is coming to an end. I do not care whether she approves or not. I simply want a wife who will ignore her or challenge her so that she steps down. My father will approve of you and that is all that matters. I promise I will listen to you, I promise I will treat you as my equal. I will not break these promises. Just say you will marry me."

"I feel like you are missing something important out. Your father requested you marry someone? Did he request anything else?" Dawn shrewdly asks.

"An heir." Gavriel answers shortly and Dawn steps back, it was not an answer she expected.

"An heir." She repeats, completely disbelieving. "No. I will not marry you. Find someone else." She backs away and does a low sweeping curtsey. Gavriel presses his lips together, his eyes growing hard. Dawn notices and hurriedly steps back to the door. If she can get out from the room then she can run. Her hand lands on the handle. Then he smirks and she freezes.

"So you would rather be put on trial for your crimes." Her mouth drops open. "I tried to do this the kind and good way. That clearly did not work. When would you like to be seen before my father's council?" He strides over to the fireplace and traces his fingers over the figurines resting above it. He is convinced that she will no longer leave. Her fingers tighten around the handle but she does not turn it.

"What crimes are you accusing me of?" She asks quietly, her voice barely avoiding being swallowed up by the room.

"My father does not tolerate traitors as I am sure you are well aware. His punishments are harsh for those living within his lands. I can only imagine how much worse it would be for someone living within his home, eating his food and conversing with his servants on a daily basis. I do not think he would treat such a traitor with any kindness. He probably would not even consider a trial." Gavriel flicks one of the figurines and it clinks.

"I am not a traitor and you cannot make me out to be one." She says with some confidence. Gavriel glances at her and his eyes flick her up and down.

"So you deny sneaking down to the dungeons to feed an accused murderer."

"How did you know?" The words slip out before she thinks them through. She cringes and bites harshly down on her tongue. A bitter taste enters her mouth. She swallows abruptly.

"You do not go as quietly as you think. It is irrelevant that he is proven innocent now. You did not know that and you went against Lord Kier's orders by not only feeding him but speaking to him also. You are a traitor." Gavriel turns and folds his arms across his chest, watching her.

She glares mutinously at him. "Let me guess. If I refuse to marry you then you take me to your father and tell him of my crime. If I marry you then it goes away but I have to live the rest of my life by your side."

"I knew you were intelligent. So what will it be, little one? I promise you will live a good long life by my side."

......what a conundrum.....