The Book for Lost Souls

Copyrighted © 2016 Eleina Wren
All rights reserved

It was a night like any other, moonless. The town was dark save for the dancing lights from firelamps. Sparks flew from them, and occasional crackles preceded them. But if anyone were to stay and try to listen for those little sounds, they would have failed, for amidst the near-silence, a horse's hooves were thumping rhythmically against the cobblestones, and this had no doubt overpowered them.

Erlwe, the Fair Lady, and the princess of the kingdom of Halegh, rode fast and sure away from the castle she had, for so long, called home. It was way past the time for a maiden to be out without a companion. There had been stories of frequent thievery and bandits in the streets, but Erlwe cared nothing of it. She was not naive, just too brave for her own good. She was riding speedily on a black stallion, and she donned a navy cotton cape that hid her golden hair. Would anyone dare to be trampled to death by a caped stranger in the middle of the night? No, bandits were the least of her concerns right then. Even if it were to happen, she would not have minded: to be taken far away, never to see her father again. Anything to escape marriage. As she rode on, fuming at the thought of a parent's betrayal, she recalled the earlier events of that day.

It had been a wonderful day. The sun was shining in all its glory, and though it was, the weather remained cool. She had been in her garden, strumming the strings of her wooden instrument, when a maid had knocked against the door, disrupted her practice, and announced that the king had requested to see her in his quarters. Erlwe had found it odd then, because her father had rarely so called for her.

The king was a good ruler, constantly on his toes when it came to caring for his people. If anything, he put every effort he could to make Halegh a better place for all who had decided to call his kingdom their home. He was everything one would want to find in a king, but he was nothing any child would want as a father. For all of her nineteen years, Erlwe was not a daughter but a subject. For all of her nineteen years, she had only known the love from the servants of the castle, the love of music and nature. They were the family and friends Erlwe was used to. Her father was a stranger to her. She held no sense of contempt against him... until then, when he broke the news to her that she was to wed the prince from a nearby kingdom. He had left no space for discussion, had held his ground like the king he was when Erlwe promptly refused such an order. To punish her, he had her locked up in her room. Little did he know that the servants of his own castle would help their mistress escape.

Erlwe let reluctant tears fall from her eyes, thinking of all that she had left behind. There is no turning back, Erlwe thought to herself as she pushed Flint further towards the forest. Soon, the cracking of branches could be heard. Hoofbeats were muffled against humus, and the rustling of disturbed leaves filled the air around the runaway princess. The relaxing sound of trickling water gradually reached her ears. Finally, when they reached a clearing, she pulled at the reins, and Flint slowed to a restless trot, panting heavily.

Erlwe surveyed her surroundings, at the clear stream flowing. She had never been this deep into the forest before, and it was making her cautious. It was only when she was certain there was no apparent threat did she leave the saddle. Placing a soothing hand on her stallion's muzzle, she led him slowly towards the stream's edge. Flint immediately brought his mouth to the dark flowing water. Erlwe followed after, cupping her hand to drink from it, and hungrily so. When she had her fill, she walked closer to the forest edge and sat, sighing heavily as Flint rested beside her, his warmth friendly and inviting as she drifted off to sleep.

In the middle of the night, Erlwe jerked awake. Flint was already awake beside her, alert. His ears flicked about nervously as he stared off into the distance.

Sitting up, she brought her cape more snugly around her. The night had gotten colder — and brighter too, for the clouds no longer obscured the moon. Erlwe moved to see over the horse. Something was definitely there — something glowing in the depths of the stream. It glowed so bright, the moonlight seemed to dim in comparison.