What a sad name

When they reached Aachen it was just another sight of a bombed out city. But it wasn't as bad as Hamburg or Cologne. Both men got out of the train and walked towards an officer. "Sir." Both Heinsel and Hamsel saluted. The officer saluted back. "What unit are you in?" He asked. Both men shrugged, they were completely misled. "U huh. Well, do you have any documents on you?" He asked. Hamsel pulled out his papers and gave them to the officer after Heinsel did his. "Well well. You're with the Aachen garrison. Alright, the main camp, name is camp forlorn. It's in the outskirts of the city near Hürtgen forest. In reality it's in the Siegfried line. Just head west and when you see it in which you will. Give them your papers. They'll let you in and the colonel there will take you." "Thank you sir." Thanked Heinsel. Hamsel nodded in thanks and the officer nodded and went to talk to other lost men. "Camp forlorn? Damn where do they come up with these names." Asked Heinsel.

When they got out of the train station they didn't know where to go. They couldn't tell which direction was which and who to ask for directions. Then they heard a call. "Anyone going west? Towards camp forlorn?" Asked someone. "Here!" Hamsel waved him over. The man jogged over, his heavy pack bouncing up and down with each step. "Where do we go?" He asked. Hamsel shrugged. "Don't know head west. Whichever way is west." He said. Heinsel went over to talk to an old officer with an iron cross in his chest and dusted uniform. "Excuse me sir. But mind if I ask where the Siegfried line reserves are placed?" The man turned and grumbled. "Damn you new recruits get on my nerves. There's a motor pool nearby. Go down the road and take a right. Won't miss it, has an 88 aiming at the sky. With a couple tiger and Panther Panzers." He said. "Thank you sir." He thanked him and walked back. "So? Where do we go?" Asked Hamsel. "Down the road and take a right. We'll see a big 88 aiming at the sky. He said we won't miss it." Hamsel nodded and motioned the other guy to come with them cause he was flirting with a girl who was walking by. The guy didn't look like he was over sixteen years old. He seemed young and bookish and had black hair with blue eyes. "Follow us kid. Hang back and you'll walk towards the Siegfried line." Wanted Hamsel. Heinsel walked down the street as in a park. Hamsel was walking wearily paying attention at everyone. The boy was eyeing every girl he saw. Hamsel shook his head. They took a right and saw a camouflaged 88. Surrounded by sandbags and the massive barrel aimed at the sky. The crew was sitting beside the cannon. Eating breakfast. "There it is. The motor pool." said Hamsel. They walked into it and a guard stopped them. "Who are you?" He asked. Hamsel showed his papers. Heinsel handed him his papers and the boy who was with them reached for his pocket and took out his papers and folded them out. "Destination?" Asked the guard. "The Siegfried line. Forlorn camp." Answered Hamsel. The guard sighed. "A convoy just left. Headed there. We still have that Panzer platoon that's supposed to head there. Go in ask them for a ride." He said. Hamsel nodded and walked in. The boy followed his duffel bag slung over his back and watching everything in awe. "Woah. The wherchmant. Best armed force in the world." He said. Hamsel sighed. "Used to kid. Used to." He said in his mind.

They walked in to meet one of the tiger Panzer commanders. The three guys walked forwards as the officer was looking in the driving port talking. "Sir." Asked Hamsel. Either the guy didn't notice them or just ignored them. Hamsel cleared his throat. "Ahem. Sir." The guy cursed and turned. "Listen tell your superiors to rack off. I don't need more amateurs riding my Panzers!" He shouted with a Bavarian. Hamsel backed off surprised but not shaken. Heinsel raised an eyebrow. The boy backed off tremendously. "No sir. Were not the ones who rode in tin cans. Were with the infantry. We need to go to camp forlorn. The last convoy left. We need a ride can you take us?" Asked Hamsel. The panzer commander's eyes widened and he looked surprised. "Oh. Well we ain't got much space inside anyways. If you're gonna ride, ride up top on the turret or on the back. We're just about to leave. How many of you are there?" Asked The man. "Three of us." Answered the young boy. "We'll ride on one Panzer or ride together on a Panzer it don't matter. Get your shit ready were about to leave." Then the commander spat on the floor. Hamsel walked near the tiger and got on it. He helped Heinsel up and helped the kid. "So y'all are riding on Bertha?" Asked the commander surprised. "Better hold on tight then. Her stomach grumbles heavily." He smirked.

When they left the city they went into the woods. In total it was calm and moist. The September sun shining high up. The commander sat out the hatch of the tiger turret smoking a cigarette. Heinsel was laying back with a toothpick sticking out of his mouth, and the kid was trying to start a conversation with the driver. "Listen for the last time kid rack off! Whose interested in these tin cans anyways?" Asked the driver. Hamsel smirked. "So went are y'all from?" Asked the officer. Hamsel looked at him. Worth staring a conversation they wouldn't get to camp mforlorn in about another two hours. "I'm from Hamburg. The slick bastard beside me is from cologne or Dresden I think." Said Hamsel. Heinsel smiled. "I thought you knew where I was from!" Hamsel shrugged innocently. "After you get a concussion you lose some memory." He said. "Ha. I'm from from konnisberg. Hard to believe right?" He smiled. Hamsel was surprised. The guy had a Bavarian accent. "Then what's with the accent?" Asked Heinsel. "I grew up in the Bavarian region. Was born in konnieberg but I grew up here." He said. "Then what's your name?" Asked Hamsel. "Sgt. Bülow this hunk of metal is named Bertha. After the great German cannon from the Great War." He said proudly. "I'm sgt. Hamsel. The skunk on my right is cpl. Heinsel." Bülow smirked. "North name start with an H and end in el. Ha! Classic!" He laughed. "Oh man. Now what do you guys expect for this front? I doubt you both have seen combat." He said. "Nah we saw combat. Survived June 6th. Got out of Normandy alive and fought the Russians at Estonia." Said Hamsel. The Commander eyes widened. "Damn. Since you were in Normandy. Where'd you fight?" Asked Bülow. It was clear he didn't believe him. "After June 6th we went to take Carentan from the Americans. We got pushed back and we regrouped at St. lo where we defended the city against the Americans who tool it. Then we went to Chakbois where we covered the Wherchmants retreat from Normandy." Said Hamsel. Bülow looked at Heinsel for proof. Heinsel nodded and went back to chewing his toothpick. "Damn. So you know what we're up against?" He asked. Hamsel nodded. "What about the Soviets. I ain't hear a thing bout them." Said The boy who was finally paying attention. "Its defeat there. Cpl. Heinsel knows more about it than I do. He lived through an entire battle and got out with Army group Narwa. I got shipped back to Hamburg thanks to a bayonet and a Russian." Said Hamsel. Heinsel nodded and cleared his voice. Then he told them about the battle of tannenberg line. From his point of view though.

When he finished. Sgt. Bülow sighed. "And not a Panzer lived." He said. Heinsel nodded grimly. "It's the sad truth. They Russians are merciless. But they do know how to fight. Now we go back here again. To fight the Yankees. Once again." He sighed. Hamsel layed his head back. "It's life here in Europe for us Germans. We started it and we finish it." He said. Bülow nodded. "True." The kid who was quiet all the time then asked. "What about you sir? Have you bought here?" Bülow sighed and layed back. "Any of you guys know Rommel?" Best damn German general this world has ever seen!" Man if only Hitler's had sent in backup. Africa would've been ours!" He stated. "So you were in the Afrika corps?" Asked Hamsel. "Through and through. All my men here the same thing. Then after Africa. To Sicily. Where the damn Italians betrayed us and from Sicily to Monte Casino." He said. Hamsel heard about monte casino. Hardest fought battle in Italy. "How was it?" He asked. "I was mostly in this hunk of junk. We were hiding inside a building and kept on ambushes on the Tommies and Yankees. Killed a great number. That's why this tiger is an ace. Why her cannon kills cleanly and easily. We call her Bertha. But that's how it was. Now here we are. Most of the survivors of the wherchmant have seen Europe and believe that we'll lose. It's obvious. I believe that." Said Bülow. Hamsel nodded in agreement as did Heinsel but the boy shook his head. "Sir. The führer has led this country from the ashes of the Great War and built it into one of the worlds greatest superpower. We can rise again and we will rise again." He said. Hamsel wished he could believe that bug deep inside he knew it was ashes and death for Germany's future that's all.