Shattered Diamond

Start from the beginning

Zelda pursed her lips. "Alright." She fell silent, trying to ease her pounding heart, and tried to focus on the plane of magic, searching for the Wind Element.

As she felt her mind touch the it with the grace that any magic user would have, she nearly let go as soon as she drew on its power. Yes, she had completely devoted her mind to the Wind Element, but the fear still remained, and it only increased as her surroundings began to spin and she found herself back in Faron Woods, near the ruins of the white building, pale and sweaty. This caught the attention of Tirai, and the Sheikah turned to look at her.

"Are you alright, Zelda?"

When she turned her head towards her, Zelda noticed that Link had already disappeared. That only made her feel worse.

"I...I guess I'm a little afraid," Zelda said. "But I'll be fine."

Tirai nodded. "I can't blame you. I think I'm a little anxious myself. What if she's not dead?"

Zelda looked down at Fukira, who was completely silent. She pursed her lips. "Let's not think about that now. We at least wounded her."

"Yes, I suppose so. Just keep a lookout, alright? After all, you're one of the most important people among the Hylian people."

At one time, Zelda thought, but she remained silent as she looked up at parents reuniting with their children, hugging and laughing with them.

Perhaps that would have been her and Groose had she not left Ni at the Lanayru Mining Facility.

The thought left her numb. She couldn't cry--not anymore. Not after all of this. If she did, she would cry until she ran out of tears and passed out from dehydration.

Groose was close, and she could see that he too longed to be like the other parents with their children. He stood uncharacteristically silent, watching with envious eyes.

Reluctantly, she placed a hand on his shoulder. "Let's get out of here."

"I wish Ni was here," Groose responded with a voice that held as much emotion as a rock.

"I do too," Zelda responded. "Hey, the lake's pretty this time of day. Wanna go look?"

"What do you think would've happened if we'd brought her with us?" Groose asked as he turned to look at her.

"I..." Zelda averted her eyes. "We shouldn't think about it."

"But I can't stop thinking about it. We both insisted that she stay at the facility, right? And now she's missing. We don't even know if she's dead or alive. Fucking hell, she could be scared and crying right now and we wouldn't know. It fucking kills me, Zelda. Don't you feel the same way?"

She turned her gaze to Jamakar and Kukiel. By now, the girl was thirteen and looking more and more like her father.

"Yes, Groose, I do," Zelda said, voice quiet. "I wanted her to see Hyrule and everything. I wanted her to grow to be just like Daddy. Now I don't know if I'll ever be able to do it." Upon feeling the tears well up in her eyes, she turned away from the happy scene. "Can we please get away from here?"

Groose nodded slowly, and they both walked away, hands linked, silent.

--

Link panted heavily as he slowed to a walk. The Statue of the Goddess stood proudly over him, casting a dark shadow over him as he approached the double doors of the Sealed Temple. He pushed a door open and headed inside.

The temple had a musty smell that Link associated with the place. The sunlight pouring in through a window that had broken long ago seemingly focused on one spot. In that spot was Ghirahim, limp and lifeless.