Times Be A-changin'

A/N: Sorry, I am a horrible writer. I mean, I leave for a long time without telling you few people who actually decided to read this story, and for that I apoligize. And yes, I know you're going to say "That's no excuse!" when I tell you why I left.

----------------------------------

Previously:

You start laughing, "Uh, buzzo, my mom died in a car crash, a year and a half ago." "We can change that, just go to your house." In the background you can hear your mom yelling, "It's not real! Don't listen to them! Just run!" She pauses for breath, "Do you remember that box I gave you when you were little, the one I told you not to ever open? OPEN IT!" You can hear her struggling,"No! Stop! Let me say goodbye! No! I love you, (y/n)! I love you!" The line goes dead.

She's gone. You run home as fast as you can, and go upstairs to your room. You run and start looking through your closet. "Argh, where is it? I can't find it! Please, I pray to all the box gods, let me find this box!" You stand up, giving up looking in the closet for it. As you turn towards the door, you see something on your bed that wasn't there before.

It's a grey box with swirls on it, the one your mom was talking about.

------------------------

You turn, fully facing the bed. As if in a trance, you walk towards it, slightly wary. You reach out, ghosting your fingers over the sides, turning it to face you. You remember your mother's words from long ago, when you first found the box in her dresser.

"No, no, no, sweetie. Don't touch that." She gently took the intricately decorated box from your hands. "That's for big girls only, you can open it when your older, but for now, don't touch it, it's very important to Mommy, okay? Mommy will tell you when you can open it, alright? Just forget about it."

You smiled big innocent smile. "Alright, Mommy!"

But you never did, and you think that your mother knew that.

When you would go to play dress up, you would look up and see it in the closet.

Or when you were getting ready for Senior and Junior Prom night, you glanced at the bottom of her bed, and saw it sitting there, looking like nothings wrong.

You think she knew that you hadn't forgotten, since it was always changing places, but still, you never touched it, because when you were 5, Mommy said "No."

Back to the present, you rest your hand on the clasp of the box, one that stayed intact through all these years.

'I'm scared,' You realize, startled. 'I never expected this day to come. I always thought that I would never see the inside, but now the time has come, and I'm afraid.'

Taking a deep breath, you release the clasp, shutting your eyes tight. Nothing happens. You slowly open your cognac colored eyes, shaping your head to get rid of the colors flashing in front of your vision. You shift your line of sight downward, to the still closed lid of the box. You slowly open the lid, prepared for the worst. When nothing happens, you open the lid completely.

You take in the contents of the box, which are not at all what you expected. It's a manila envelope, a small pouch on a chain, a viking cuff bracelet, and a fob-watch, with swirls very similar to the outside of the box on it.

 It's a manila envelope, a small pouch on a chain, a viking cuff bracelet, and a fob-watch, with swirls very similar to the outside of the box on it

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

You pull out the envelope first, sliding the top flap out. You slide out the papers, carefully laying them on the bed. It's letters, and official documents, all in perfect condition. You pick up the one that was on top, bringing it closer to read.

Dear ______,

It pains me to write this, just knowing that there will come a day when you will have to read this, without me. I'm writing this sitting next to you in your crib, hoping for the future. I know what is to come, for I am already showing the signs of regression back to our time. Well, my time.

Your time is everywhere, every second, is when you belong. Since I found you on my doorstep, at the first touch of my hand, you adapted. You are special, and I love you like my own. When you open the watch that rests within the box alongside this letter, something amazing will begin to happen, but don't worry, that's supposed to happen. You may have a little bit of pain, and plenty of confusion, but everything will be okay.

I Love You,

Mommy

You wipe your eyes, clearing them of unshed tears. You reach for the next one, reading it quickly, as it is short.

Dear ______,

I apologize for how brief this letter must be, but you have found the box in the closet, and I must find a place to hide it for good, where you will never find it. I have not decided as to where I will hide it, but I must do so soon. You are getting smarter each day. I hope you won't find it any time soon. It couldn't possibly end well.

I Love You,

Mommy

Now you're confused, because you saw her moving it around all throughout your childhood, not trying to hide what she was doing. You reach in and grab the metal bracelet, which is set with a green stone, unclasping the bottom and slipping it on your wrist. Clipping it back, you turn your arm, watching how the colour of the stone shifts in the light. You look down, peering into the box, and see a few other letters.

Reading through them, most of them are similar to the first couple, until you get to the last one. It reads:

Dear ______,

This will be my last letter to you, for I believe that the time for my end is to come soon. I want you to always remember that I love you, and that I would do anything to keep you safe and sound. I also want you to know that what is going to happen to me, is not your fault. I just want you to stay strong, stay kind, and stay caring. Do that for me.

I know this is hard for you, but I need you to trust me and my choices, okay? I'm doing this for you, to keep you safe. I love you, okay? I need you to do something for me, sweetie. I need you to go to a safe place, and open the pocket watch. You need to put on the brace, and keep the bag safe until the right time comes. You will know when that is, so don't worry. You will feel it in your gut. I love you, stay safe, sweetheart.

I Love You,

Mommy

Even more confused than you were before, you pick up the pocket watch and slip the chain around your neck, letting it fall to rest lightly on your chest. You slide the pouch through your belt loop, looping the string so it will stay attached. You put all of the letters into the box again, picking up your birth documents, noticing that the year is printed over. This itself is puzzling, because your mom was always one for making and following rules to the letter. You were always a bit of the opposite, even when you were younger, no matter how hard she tried to plant that way of thinking into your brain. She always said you were just like the rest of your family, who you only ever saw on occasion.

After leafing through the birth papers, medical papers, and insurance registers, you slide them all back into the envelope, grabbing the letters from the box and sliding them back in as well. You shut the lid of the box, and pick it up, moving to your open closet door. You set it down, reaching up into the top of the closet for your bag. You decided that you needed to go on a trip. A really long trip. But you'll come back. You always come back home.

-----------------------------------

A/N

Sorry it's been almost half a year or more since I last updated/put the story up. I have to admit that I may or may not have forgotten about Wattpad for a bit. Hehe... oops.