21 / let's do it

Bree was awoken the first time at five o'clock in the morning when felt the duvet tug and the mattress dip beside her, opening bleary eyes to see Sarah climbing upon her side of the bed, her teddy clutched in one hand. Bree squinted at her, wincing when she caught a glimpse of her alarm clock.

"What's up?" she asked, her voice cracking after having woken up just seconds ago.

"I had a bad dream," Sarah whispered, the corners of her mouth downturned, and Bree didn't have the energy to get up and put the girl back into her own bed. Instead, she helped Sarah to clamber up and motioned for her to lie down in the middle, between her and Zara. Her bed was a good couple of feet taller than Sarah's, and the last thing she wanted was for her to fall out. That wouldn't go down well with Nick and Maddie, who would sacrifice everything for their daughter.

When Bree rolled over, her back to the window, Sarah curled against her stomach like a dog with her hair splayed out over the pillow and her thumb in her mouth. Zara was flat out on her front on the other side, her face pressed against the pillow as she snored. For a fleeting moment, Bree felt like a mother, with a toddler disturbing her night at an ungodly hour to be comforted, and she thanked the heavens that she would never have a child.

It didn't take long for her to fall asleep again after that, soothed by Zara's steady snores and Sarah's warmth, drifting off before the sun rose for the day.

*

It was eight forty-five when Bree stirred for the second time, woken by Sarah moving restlessly beside her. The summer sun streamed through the crack in the curtains and Bree let out a mammoth yawn as she stretched out her arms, looking over at Sarah.

"Morning," she said, having almost forgotten that she had shared her bed for the night. Zara was already up and nowhere to be seen, her side of the bed empty but neatly made, and Bree forced herself to get up. Beside her, Sarah sat up on her heels and watched her.

"Did you sleep ok?" Bree asked, and she nodded, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hand.

"I'm hungry," she said, her voice small, and Bree swung her legs over the side of the bed.

"How about we go get some breakfast then?" She cocked her head to one side and held out her hand, helping Sarah off the bed and leading her to the kitchen. It was early, especially for a Saturday, but they were the last ones up already: Gaia sat at the table with a bowl of cereal in front of her while Evan stood in his pyjamas and yawned as he brewed a couple of mugs of tea. The sound of running water indicated that Zara was in the shower, and that Bree had somehow slept in despite never waking so early on a weekend.

"Morning, sleepyheads," Evan said, holding up a third mug. "Coffee?"

Bree nodded, flashing him a grateful smile, and directed Sarah towards a seat. She had no idea what three year olds ate: she couldn't even remember what it was like to be that age, let alone what her parents had given her for breakfast, and she looked at Gaia with a hopeless expression.

"Sarah's hungry," she said. Gaia's perception didn't seem to be affected by the time, catching on immediately, and she stood.

"You want some breakfast, huh?" she asked, giving Sarah a broad grin, and she headed to her own cupboard, surveying the contents. "How about some porridge? Or maybe toast? Or I can make egg and soldiers."

Sarah's face brightened and she nodded. "Eggy soldiers, please," she said, kicking her feet against the rung of the chair, and Bree's shoulders relaxed as Gaia filled a pot from the kettle to boil for an egg.

"Thank you," she said as genuinely as she could, and repeated the sentiment to her brother when he passed her a steaming coffee, the exact colour she liked it. "I didn't realise I'd be so late to the party before it's even nine."