Justin: Do you like the way the letter to your future self turned out?

Ariana: Sure. I ask myself a lot of questions.

Justin: I thought you were supposed to tell yourself things.

Ariana: Yeah. I don't think I really followed the assignment. I didn't want to tell myself things. I have no clue where I'll be in ten years. I might be living in a foreign country.

Justin: Like Honduras?

Ariana: I was thinking France.

Justin: I've never been to Honduras or France.

Ariana: Neither have I. I guess we've both got a lot of living left to do.

Justin: Ariana, I want to thank you for something.

Ariana: Okay. Thank away.

Justin: Thanks for making me read Jason's letters.

Ariana: I didn't make you.

Justin: Without you telling me to, I doubt I would have read them. And they've really helped me understand him. Without them, I probably wouldn't have been able to forgive him.

Ariana: So you've forgiven him? Does this mean you trust him again too?

Justin: I still need to work on that.

Ariana: Have you ever thought of writing letters to Jason?

Justin: I'm not ready for that.

Ariana: Oh.

Justin: Maybe one day.

Ariana: I write letters.

Justin: I know. To your future self in ten years.

Ariana: No. I write letters that aren't part of an assignment.

Justin: Really? To who?

Ariana: Kathryn. I do it when something exciting or interesting happens. Actually, that's not true. Sometimes nothing all that interesting has happened and I'll sit down and write her.

Justin: Like a diary? Except in letters?

Ariana: I guess. When I first started doing this, I used to think: What if Kathryn is one of the stories, one of those rare cases, where somebody finds her? I figured that when Kathryn came home, I could give her these. I could show her how much I missed her, how I was always thinking about her. And when she read them, even though all this time has passed, it would be like she hadn't missed everything.

Justin: That's really sad, Ariana.

Ariana: It helps me.

Justin: Have you written her any letters lately?

Ariana: Oh yeah. I've been keeping her well informed about Paris and the eggs. I've also told her a little bit about you.

Justin: Good things?

Ariana: Pretty good things.

Justin: Can I ask you another question about this?

Ariana: Yes.

Justin: If you've given her a death date and you don't think that she's going to read them anymore, why do you still write them?

Ariana: I guess I believe in an afterlife and stuff. I think she still has access to them. In some way. She sees them.

Justin: Oh.

Ariana: I think I'm through talking tonight.

Justin: That's good. Because I think I'm through listening.

Ariana: That was so rude!

Justin: I was joking.

Ariana: Jokes can be rude.

Justin: You're being way too hard on me.

Ariana: Get used to it.

Justin: What's next? More nipple insults?

Ariana: You're the one who said they were interesting.

Justin: They are. I mean, if these nipples could talk . . .

May 22, 6:24 a.m.

Justin: I can't believe that you didn't pick up. Maybe you're in the shower. I think I should get directions to your house again. So that when the hatching begins, I can zoom right over.

May 22, 6:58 a.m.

Ariana: I can't believe that you aren't picking up. You're such a tease. Okay. I'm going to forgive you for losing these directions. I live on Township Road. It's the fourth house. If you pass a barn with the words "Cream Dog," you've gone too far. But I bet you remembered that part. You'll know you're getting close when you've left all signs of civilization behind. On a side note, in the background of your last message I could hear your grandma singing. I think it might have been Neil Diamond. My dad listens to him a lot. I didn't know that anybody else did. Hey, when it comes to selecting karaoke songs, I think your grandma has tremendous range.

May 22, 7:03 a.m.

Justin: Yes, I was in the shower. And, Ariana, I never told you this before, but your directions are terrible. You need to give a person landmarks. Gas stations. Cemeteries. Big gangly trees.

May 22, 7:08 a.m.

Ariana: Are you taking a second shower? Did you have trouble rinsing out your shampoo? Okay. Take the main exit in Montpelier and drive straight until you don't see any landmarks. No gas stations. No cemeteries. No big gangly trees. Then turn left on Township Road. My house is blue. It looks like a triangle. It's the only house on the hill. If you get lost, call me. Oh, and Paris isn't at my house. Paris is at CeCe's. Remember? Anyway, once the hatching starts, you drive here and then we can carpool to CeCe's together.

A/N:

hey babes!

hope you enjoyed this chapter :)

only 2 chapters left :(((((((

regarding to the last author's note, no I won't do a sequel. pls don't trip, I just want to focus on other/new books.

okay, well, thanks for reading!

I love you <3