○ ○ ○

"You are too late, children of mine, this young man has already told me what he claims to have seen." Lord Kier says as he senses his children enter the room. Gavriel's jaw tenses and there is strong hatred in his gaze directed at the poor man whose bravery is draining fast. Gethin looks over at his siblings from where he sits at his father's side. Where Lord Kier looks sad and torn, Gethin does not. Gethin looks over at them with no emotion, just coldness. "From how you rushed in here, I can only deduce that he has told me the truth."

Zara steps forward and curtseys deeply to her father. "I believe so father." Gavriel huffs loudly behind her.

"So it was an accident, an awful accident. I wish you had come to me with this."

"Then you would have thrown us in the dungeons for the rest of our lives." Gavriel heatedly states. "Do not pretend that you would have believed us. All of us present know that you would not have waited to hear our explanation. Do not try to be a fair and understanding Lord now, it does not suit you."

"Enough." Kier roughly growls. "I see now I have three children who are capable of great deception. One of you poisoned me..." he glances over at his eldest, Gethin does not have the decency to look guilty, "One of you manipulated me into becoming my heir..." Zara shifts and lets her head drop down in shame, "And the other accidently killed their brother and lied about it." Gavriel stands straight and tall, unable to back down.

"Father." Zara implores but he holds up his hand stilting her words. He bows his head to someone who has just entered. All the Ricells follow his gaze and Gavriel rolls his eyes at the sight of Hunter and Logan. Zara feels her heart tear further apart at the distant look on Logan's face. The guilt was burying her alive. It still is.

"Logan Usani. I apologise but this is a family matter." Lord Kier sternly says. Logan just looks at him in disbelief and Hunter fights a smirk.

"Well I have also come regarding a family matter. It should not take long." Logan strides up to Gavriel. "Tell my brother he is released from your deal." He orders and Gavriel laughs.

"Now why would I want to do that?"

Hunter rolls his eyes and steps forward. He shoots a look full of meaning at Logan. He receives it and takes a little movement back. "Lord Kier." His gaze flicks to Hunter. "Do you accept that your children killed your son?" Lord Kier warily nods. "Do you accept that your family has many secrets that you would like to remain private?"

Lord Kier frowns as do his two sons. Hunter withdraws the book he stole from within his jacket. Gethin's mouth drops open. Hunter tosses it to him then takes a sweeping bow. "I would rather have done this with my brother safely on his way home," he shoots him an annoyed look, "but I shall have to involve him in threatening you." Hunter grins, his eyes lighting up with evil. "If you ever damage the Usani's reputation or harm their health I will release every one of your dirty little secrets one by one. And trust me, I am adept at hiding, you will not find me until you are completely destroyed."

"You little vermin..." Gavriel hisses. Gethin rises from his seat. Both brothers look intent on ripping Hunter's limbs off. Only Zara's mouth twitches upwards; she is impressed by his cool and easy delivery of his threat.

"Enough." Lord Kier growls, once again. "What makes you think that I would let you leave after such a threat?"

Hunter glances at his brother and mutters, "Hence why I wanted you gone." Logan chooses to ignore him. Louder Hunter continues, "I am not the only one to know these secrets of yours. If my people do not hear from me then they will be released anyway. It is in your best interest to let us go and never bother us."

"You are bluffing." Gethin pronounces with confidence. Hunter cocks up an eyebrow.

"Are you willing to test that theory?"

"You may leave." Lord Kier reluctantly states. When neither men move he scowls. "Well..."

"I think I speak for both of us when I say that we want to see what action you are taking against your children." Logan states calmly and Hunter nods with a slight shrug of his shoulders.

"I do not wish to leave the Ricell lands in my son Gethin's hands." He watches Gethin's empty face. He has already signed away his right and he has no wish to be the Lord of these lands. Lord Kier knows this. "But then I am left with these two." He looks over at his son and daughter. Zara's tear streaked face is turned downwards whereas Gavriel stands proudly and sure of himself. "A rogue group of bandits killed Jasiel."

Logan and Hunter frown. Gavriel smirks and Zara looks at her father with disbelief.

"It was unfortunate and all of the men have been executed." He says his tone final. "Is that understood?" The young man hurriedly nods, fearing for his life. Hunter beckons him to come and stand with them. He does so, holding on to the promise that Orion made him. Lord Kier then sighs. "My daughter, you will not be my heir. I do not think you suit the character it takes. I do not wish you to change into it as I have seen you slowly do. I recommend that you find yourself a husband and settle down, away from here."

"Yes father." She does not argue. Being heir means nothing to her now.

"My son, Gavriel, you have much to prove until I can leave these lands to you. I recommend that you find a wife and bear a son. Being a father may redeem you. As of now, there is no heir to these lands." He rises to his feet. "Do not make me regret my decisions."

"Of course not father." Gavriel and Gethin chime together.

"Logan." Their gazes lock. "If you decide to get revenge, please restrain yourself from destroying my son's face." Hunter grins instead of Logan who keeps his face blank. Gavriel shakes his head, disbelief highlighting his features. Lord Kier leaves the room. The tension builds.

"Home?" Logan simply asks his brother.

"It is time." They both stride from the room, sure to protect the man on both sides.

Orion pushes himself off the wall he was leaning on and nods at Hunter. He beckons the man over. Logan blinks several times, not having seen his brother's look-alike before. The likeness is uncanny and unsettling. It is also impossible to not notice the way Hunter's whole body has coiled together. "I will see you around, boy." Orion laughs and walks off with the man. Hunter does not relax until numerous long minutes have passed.

"You are so much more controlled than I am." Hunter comments offhandedly as they emerge into the sunlight outside.

"Why do you say that?" Logan asks, not really listening.

"He basically gave you permission to exercise your fury on his son... as long as you left his face alone. I would not have then walked away after everything he put you through." Hunter cracks his knuckles. He then glances at his brother. Logan has heard none of his reply. His mind is elsewhere. Hunter sighs and peeks over his shoulder back at the manor. Zara stands in one of the windows, her expression broken.

If only they had never left to get Lord Kier's permission to marry.

If only...