Chapter 2

Draco sat silently at the edge of the lake. It was pouring down rain, but Draco had cast a shield around him, warding away the rain.

He glanced Harry flying on his broom, trying to catch a Snitch in the rain. His black hair was flattened to his forehead, hiding his scar. His glasses were crooked on his face.

Draco laughed mirthlessly. Good luck with that, Potter.

If he licked the area around his lips, he could still taste the salt from his tears. He didn't care. Why must he care for the Chosen One? Why not someone else? Why not a girl, for that matter?

Draco glanced over, hearing a quiet footfall amongst the raindrops. Harry had landed, obviously spotting Draco in the process.

The Snitch in Harry's hand made Draco snort. Of course.

Harry knocked on the bubble surrounding Draco. He mouthed the words, "Can I come in?" It was either that or "candy coming," so he was going to stick with the first one.

Draco reluctantly opened the shield a little bit, shutting it once Harry had entered.

Harry was shivering, and wouldn't release the Snitch. Draco wanted to tell him he was an idiot, but that might sound like he was caring.

Harry smiled at Draco, teeth chattering. "W-We were bloody i-idiots, were... weren't we?"

Draco eyed Harry cautiously. He wasn't sure what was wrong with Harry but didn't want him catching pneumonia.

Harry reached out his hand. "I-I... I'd like to b-be your friend, D-Draco Malfoy."

Draco sucked in a breath and cautiously took hold of Harry's hand. Tingles shot through Draco's arm at the touch, but Harry's hand was freezing cold. "Potter, you're freezing."

Harry shook his head, water from his bangs flying everywhere. "I- I'm f-fine..." he collapsed.

Draco was afraid to lift him, in case he was seen, but decided he didn't care. He lifted Harry's back with one hand and his feet the other. He dispelled the shield and hurried as fast as he could towards the school gates.

He managed to make it into the hallways. He was wet and cold, but that was nothing compared to the state of Harry. What was he thinking?

Luckily, the hallways were empty, because all the students were in their dormitories.

Draco found Madam Pomfrey in the hallway. "Potter... he's cold. And wet. He needs help."

Madam Pomfrey took Harry and told Draco to go back to his dormitory. "The eighth year's dormitory isn't far from here, is it?" she asked coolly.

Draco nodded. Hogwarts had expanded its years to ten, but you could choose to graduate at seven years.

Each house got its own dormitory, and they were all in the same hallway.

When Draco got to the Slytherin entrance, he hesitated. Turning slowly, he walked to the dormitory right across from the Slytherin's.

He knocked slowly on the wall.

After several minutes, a very disgruntled looking Weasley opened the door. "What do you-" seeing Draco, he stopped. "Go away."

"Harry's in the infirmary, just thought you ought to know," Draco said and turned.

"Why?" Weasley called after him, shaking his red hair out of his face. "Is he okay? Why am I even asking you?"

Draco suppressed an eye roll. "Because I gave you the information, you prat. He's fine, just pneumonia. He was playing Quidditch."

"In the rain?"

Draco turned with a "duh" look on his face. "No, it's a perfectly sunny day outside."

Weasley glared, then turned and closed the portrait. The portrait, of a woman, gave Draco a snotty look. "Next time, ask to open! You woke me up!"

Draco snorted. "And I suppose you would have let me in?"

"No," the portrait answered. "But it's still the right thing to do! Besides, you need a password. I don't know why he bothered opening me for you."

Draco pondered this wording for a second before saying the password - Dragon flight - to the hydra on the opposite side of the hallway. It hissed at him before swinging open.

Draco made his way through the common room, and upstairs, to his room. Tomorrow he would check on Harry.

***

Draco's eyes fluttered open after experiencing pain in his nose. Cursing, he fell backward, then looked around.

He was standing in a hallway and had just run into a wall. How had he gotten here?

After a few moments, Draco recognized the hallway as the one that held the Room of Requirements.

Why was he here? Draco paced three times, not really thinking of anything in particular. Surprisingly, a door appeared.

Draco opened it and entered. He froze.

Harry was staring at the picture on the wall. Draco hesitated, not sure whether to stay or leave, but Harry turned and saw him.

"Hey," he said.

Draco nodded as a response. "Why aren't you in the hospital wing?"

"I woke up, felt fine, and needed to come here," Harry said, his eyes drifting back to the picture, which to Draco, appeared blank.

Draco glanced toward's Harry's face, and his eyes. They were filled with pain. 

"What do you see?" Draco said quietly.

Harry closed his eyes, and then, quietly, "I see my friends dying. That's my worst fear. Being murdered by Voldemort, Death Eaters..."

His eyes fluttered open again, and he glanced at Draco. "What do you see?"

Draco glanced to the side. "I- I'd rather not say," he said, his face feeling hot. His eyes flickered up to the picture, but when they started forming, he looked away.

Harry looked confused but shrugged. "Okay."

Draco scowled at the picture. "I like the mirror of..." he trailed off, remembering what he had seen in it.

"Erised?" Harry asked. "Yeah, me too. Wait... like? Not liked?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "The Room of Requirement can give you anything, prat. Even things that have been destroyed."

"Huh," Harry said.

"Goodbye, Potter," Draco said, walking over to the door.

"'Bye, Malfoy," Harry said back, staring into the picture again. 

After Draco had exited, he stared at the fading door. "Goodbye, Harry."