Chapter 10

Have you ever just looked in the mirror and thought, 'Dang, I look hot!' In this blood-red gown with the single shoulder, I was freaking amazing, if I did say so myself. My make-up was noticeable, but not over the top. I wore a gold necklace that had a small ruby pendant that was a gift from my late Grandmother.  If only I were dressed up like this for pleasure, not business. Ashton was supposed to attend some Hollywood party tonight, and wanted me to be there. And best of all, they'd think we were just dating, they wouldn't have a clue that I was his bodyguard. As much as I told myself otherwise, I wished that I was his date tonight. Oh well, too late for that. I mean, we had kissed, but how much did the really mean?

Either way, I looked stunning tonight, and I might just have some fun while doing my job, protecting Rock Star from assassins and whatever else was out to get him. All in all, this was a pretty sweet gig I had going. And it was just till Ashton could find another bodyguard, and I could get myself an apartment and possibly go to school or something. "Just focus on the present, Lyra. The rest will come." I assured myself. I was twenty-one year old Marines veteran, I could handle this.

There was a knock at the door. I assumed it was Ashton. "Come in!" I called out, smoothing my dress down once again. He strode in, dressed in a silk tuxedo, and wow, he was rocking it.

"You look-" He began, then trailed off. His eyes were practically falling of his skull, I noticed smugly. Having a guy this hot in your bedroom, gaping at you, was almost empowering.

"Hot, I know, Rock Star." I finished for him, grinning cheekily. He just laughed at my cockiness.

"Well, I guess we better be going. It's my producer hosting this thing, so I wouldn't want to be late. We can get some networking in and then we can come back here." Ashton decided. He looked so cute when he was thinking! I can see why he was such a big deal, with those emerald eyes and quick smile. Shaking off the thoughts about him, I forced my mind into business mode.

"Okay, sounds good.Since this dress isn't too tight, I managed to hide a few weapons, so you'll be fairly safe." I assured him calmly. His eyes lit up with interest.

"You did? Care to share, princess?" He smirked at me. I rolled my eyes. Boys!

"Two guns, ten throwing knives, I have poison antidotes, rope, duct tape, and pepper spray in my purse." I stated nonchalantly.

"I'm glad your on my side." He chuckled.

"You should be." I winked playfully. We just laughed for a minute, enjoying ourselves. Eventually, our laughter lessened and we got back to the seriousness at hand.

"Well, your ride awaits, princess." He goaded, purposefully using a nickname he knew I hated. Oh well, I wasn't going to let that ruin a potentially good night. He held out his arm, and I took it gracefully. He led me through his maze of a house to the front door, where his Ferrari was parked outside. It all looked just a little too peaceful, too easy. Something was up....

"Lyra, what is it, princess?" He questioned, lightly shaking me.

"Give me your keys." I wasn't even sure why the words fell out of my mouth, they just did. I flashed back to a few missions where my unit and I partnered up with some army guys, and at that moment, somehow I just knew what was wrong. We were ten feet from the car when I stopped our progress by refusing to move. Everyone thought I was nuts. Till I picked up a rock and threw it ten feet ahead of me, and an I.E.D planted by Indian Jihadists exploded in front of us. If I hadn't stopped us, good people would've been killed. I had a bad feeling then, I had a worse feeling now. It was like a cold heat coursing through my body, and a instinctual knowledge something was simply not right.

"Why-" He wondered, but I cut him off.

"Keys, now, Ashton! Trust me." I snapped at him. He hurried and tossed his keys to me, not questioning the odd order. I pushed the 'open' button, and the vehicle beeped twice before a ring filled my ears, and my eyes teared up. I was thrown a good 15 feet by the blast, and the last things I saw were Ashton's neighbor running out of their mansion, and Ashton himself, lying ten feet from me, blood pouring from a wound on his head.

I distantly registered the voices of Devon and Zack, who were also in the house with us preparing for the party, shouting our names. Then I passed out, and everything was black.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Short,  I know. I'm editing this heavily later, but I have a road trip and had to hurry and write this. Comment, vote, and follow me! Bye! :)

-Rose (I changed it. Long story!)