Chapter 7

I left the boys at the door, telling myself it was better this way. I simply grabbed my some of my bags and put them in the trunk. I didn't need to be involved in whatever had almost gotten Rock Star killed. I'd already done plenty that in the military. Besides, he had Devon, Zack, and all his raving fans. He didn't need me. In a week, he wouldn't even remember the name Lyra Collins. And that was a good thing. A great thing. But if that was true, why did Ashton look hurt, and I felt... heartbroken? Over someone who was practically a stranger to me? Yes, I was right to nip this in the bud. Best to move on, before I started liking the guy.

"Lyra!" Ashton called out. He started running up with my last bag in hand, towards my cab. I looked back at him, torn between hopefulness and frustration. I needed him out of my life, but I didn't want him out of it. But I refused to be a bodyguard. I was a civilian now.

I took the small bag from him, smiling gently. He smiled back, his green eyes lighting up like they always did."Thanks, Rock Star. Good luck finding a body guard. And try not to get killed, you're a nice guy." I told him softly. Hey, comforting words weren't my strong suit.

"Was that you're version of an apology for declining my offer?" He quipped, keeping the mood light. It didn't work.

"Something like that, Ashton Banks. Have a good life, you deserve it." I uttered softly, being completely sincere. It was sure fun while it lasted. But now it was time to go.

"Well, guess you better go, princess." Ashton speculated, noting the impatient cab driver.

"I guess I'd better go, then." I echoed. We smiled and both retreated to our separate destinations. I walked away from the elegant home, my mind shouting at me that I was a moron the entire way. I reached the door of the cab before realizing something. I was Lyra Collins, the bold, rebellious, rash, impatient, unrepentant girl who did whatever she felt like. Lyra Collins seized the moment. "Ahh, screw it!" I muttered to myself.

"Hey, Ashton!" I called to him. He turned around, surprised. I ran up to him, ignoring the curious looks of Devon and Zack, grabbed his gorgeous face and planted a passionate kiss on him. He didn't even have time to react before I backed up.

"What was that?" He accused.

"A kiss, Rock Star. Because I'm not the type of person who believes in regrets. And when a girl gets the chance to kiss a hottie like you, she takes it." I responded cheekily. We both grinned at each other.

"Oh, you ratbag!" Zack shot at Devon.

"Pay up, you bet me a twenty they wouldn't kiss. I win, bro." Devon sassed the pouting Australian. Zack sighed and pulled a twenty out of his wallet, reluctantly handing it over to Devon.

"You bet on weather or not we'd kiss?" I questioned them both slowly, raising a brow and glaring lightly. Zack took a step back, awkwardly adverting his eyes.

"Uhh, yes?" Devon gulped out. The poor sucker didn't know he was being messed with.

"Right on." I high-fived him. He returned it happily. Hey, it was something I would've done. After that, we all just stood there for a minute, enjoying the friendly atmosphere.

"Well, everyone, I'd better run. I think the cabbie want to strangle me." I announced.

"Bye!" They all called to me as I walked toward my cab.

"Finally, I've been waitn' out here for fifteen freakin' minutes, sweetheart. Where to?" Of coarse, the cabbie had a Jersey accent and beard. Because anything else just wouldn't be cliche enough.

I muttered out my adress, my eyes intent on the man who'd saved my life, the one who's life I'd saved in return. I was going to miss them all. Now, to deal with my Dad. Since he just had to be a senator on the intelligence committee, he probably had tons on law enforcement looking for me. Liam would just be concerned, and my oh-so-sweet Mother was probably having a glass or two. Or five. This was sure to be a blast...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you guys anxious for the Collins family reunion? Don't be sad, Ashton, Devon, and Zack are far from gone. I've been terrible with updates, but I got some inspiration today.  Hopefully, more are to come. I'll try to also update The Assassin's Secret. The song of this chapter is Silhouette by Owl City. Tell me he doesn't have the voice of an angel, and that his music isn't awe-inspiring.

"The mountain of things I still regret

Is a vile reminder that I would rather just forget (No matter where I go)

The fire I began is burning me alive

But I know better than to leave and let it die

I'm a silhouette, asking every now and then (Now and then)

Is it over yet? Will I ever smile again?"

-the darkfiremage