A Bride For Jake Part 1

A Bride for Jake

By Anita Hasch

Kindle's Edition

ASIN B0174FLC8C

Copyright by Anita Hasch 2015

All rights reserved

Chapter One

Jake sat in the study with his older brother John, while the lawyer read his parents Will. He could not believe it. His parents had left the farm to John. John was his brother and he had not farmed a day in his life. Jake had farmed with his father since the day he left school. That was twelve years ago. His father's right hand man. It did not make sense. Oh, he had his two hundred sheep that he had build up himself over the years. But John had received a thousand that went with the farm. The ten cows he had also bought with his own money over the years. John got the hundred Friesland cows that came with the farm. All he received was a lump sum that was not enough to buy a farm. He needed to think. Since his parent's death in a freak accident, life had become chaotic.

"That is how the Will stands. Are there any questions? When are you going to take over the farm, John?" the Lawyer asked.

"Oh! I am not going to farm. You can put it on the market for me." John got up from his chair and put on his hat. He started walking out.

"But you can't sell the family farm." Jake called out.

"Yes I can. And remember the new Ford truck goes with the farm. You can have the Mazda truck. The Mazda truck was ten years old while the Ford was not even a year old.

"I'm sorry Jake," Leo the family lawyer stood up and gathered his papers to put into his briefcase.

"There is nothing I can do. If John wants to sell the farm I will have to put it on the market. I'll see myself out."

Jake stood on the verandah and felt as if his world had come to an end. He loved this farm. He turned around as he heard his fiancée ride up with her horse.

"Come and sit down Lisa. Would you like some coffee or must I get you some juice?"

"I'll have coffee thanks. Were you expecting visitors?" Lisa looked at the other cup on the tray.

"No, Aunt Jane was expecting John to stay for tea, but he said he had an urgent meeting in town."

"What's wrong Jake, "

"Rather ask what's right. The Will has just been read. John has inherited everything. All I received is a lump sum that is not enough to a buy small farm."

"No, that can't be true." Lisa put done her cup with a bang. Now what are we going to do?"

"What do you mean, Lisa?"

"Well you won't have much of an income, and where are we going to stay. My parents would never allow it. Are you sure Jake, surely there must be some mistake. You have been farming and managing this farm for years."

"I know I still cannot believe it. But it is true. The lawyer has just left. He read the Will a few minutes ago."

Lisa gets up, "I'll see you Jake." She walks hurriedly towards her horse.

"Where are you going Lisa?"

"I'm going home, I've got a migraine."

Jake watches Lisa as she gallops away. He can see that the news of his inheritance has really upset her. He decides to go for a walk to clear his head. He will go and see Lisa later when she has had time to process the disappointing news. They had both made such plans for the homestead after their marriage. It was a big disappointment for her as well. Her parents were fond of him. She was just in shock. Jake wandered along the pathway down to the dam. At the dam he stared at the fields of sugar cane, thinking of all his sweat and hard work. John had not lifted a finger to help.