Chapter 17.

Grayson's POV.

  "Does anyone else feel like something horribly wrong is going to happen and we have no clue what it is?" Eva asks suddenly.

  "Depends," I say, not really paying attention.

   Eva shoots me a look. "What's that suppose to mean?"

   I shrug. She raises her eyebrows and stops walking. She turns to face me and I look down at her.

  "You could have gone with her you know," she says and Vanessa turns to face us. "No one is making you stay with us."

   I look down at Eva. "I didn't want to go with Ember."

   Eva rolls her eyes. "Sure."

   Vanessa sighs. "Can we just go please. We're almost there and it's getting late. We'll all be going back home soon."

   I nod and shove past Eva. I fall into step with Vanessa and look down at her tracker. "What do we do when we get in the tunnels?" I ask.

   She turns a corner and we face a dead end with a door. "Haven't thought of that since we're here," she says, a smile playing on her lips.

   She puts her hand on the doorknob when I put my hand on top of hers. "Wait. We have no idea whats on the other side of this door. It could be a trap."

  "Grayson's right," Eva says. "This does seem suspiciously easy. Finding the underground tunnels, I mean."

   Vanessa takes her my hand off of hers and stuffs her phone into her pocket. "Eva, you hold this knife and this gun, Grayson you hold the flashlight and I have these two guns."

   I frown. "Hold on. Why can't I have a gun?" I ask. "Or a knife or something."

   Vanessa looks at Eva and they burst into laughter. "What?" I ask.

  "Hun," Vanessa says. "You're still a newbie. Leave the killing to us, ok?" she pats my shoulder and turn to open the door.

   I grab her shoulder and whirl her back around. "I'm here to help you. Let me help." I say, firmly.

   She rolls her eyes and flips her hair over her shoulder. She pulls a gun out of her ripped jeans and stuffs one of her guns back into her pocket. She takes out her phone and turns on the flashlight. "Fine. I'll hold the flashlight," she says and turns back to the door.

   I smile. "Thanks."

   She mumbles something back, but I don't hear it. She stands near the door, gripping the handle tightly. "On my mark," she whispers.

   I ready my gun and Eva readies her knife and gun. I stand in front of Eva, but behind Vanessa. Vanessa puts a finger to her lips and begins to count.

  "One, two," she whispers. "THREE!"

   She flings open the door, and I brace myself for an attack. But nothing happens. No princess zombies, no evil leader, nothing. But I do almost fall down the scary steps. I hear Vanessa let out a huge sigh of relief.

  "Good. On we go, then," she says, shining her phone down the steps leading into the dark void under us.

   We walk carefully down several rickety steps leading into the darkness. I turn on my light too, so add more light cause it's really dark down here.

  "This isn't suicide at all," Eva says sarcastically.

  "Got a better idea?" Vanessa whispers back to her.