One

(This picture is oddly cute)^^^

       "Sachi!" I cheer, wrapping my arms around Sachiko, who is wearing a pretty kimono that is as white as freshly-fallen snow. Sachiko giggles in delight. "Kimi-chan!" She says happily. "Happy birthday, Sachi!" I say, pulling out a pink, long-and-floppy-eared bunny. Sachiko happily accepts the gift.

       "Keep this with you always, Sachi. As long as you have it, we'll always be together, no matter how far apart we are." Sachiko smiles happily, nodding in agreement. "Let's go find Mother." I nod, following Sachiko.

       As we're running down the halls of our elementary school, my shoe slips off, making me lose my balance. I stop and go back for my shoe. I bend down, slipping the white dress shoe back over my small foot. I turn around, running quickly to catch up with my best friend.

       I freeze, the smile wiped off of my face at the sight of Sachiko's mother, neck bent at an awkward angle, eyes glossed over, and blouse ripped open, lying lifeless at the bottom of the stairs. The sight that is even more horrific than that, though, is the sight of Sachiko being strangled by our principal, who has always been a very kind man, up until now, that is.

       With her tongue lolling out of her mouth, swollen and dry, and her eyes bulging, bloodshot from the lack of oxygen, Sachiko mouths to me, 'get out of here'. I shake my head, wanting to help her. A tear rolls down my cheek, followed by another tear, and another, and another.

       With a puffy, tear-stained face, I give Sachiko a guilty look, mouthing 'don't make me leave you', to her. Sachiko mouths back, 'go! Now!' With a tearful nod, I bend down, picking up Sachiko's new bunny, so that I will have something to remember her by, turning around, and launching myself down the hall.

       Tears pour down my face as I run, the image of Sachiko's body, almost completely limp, hanging in the principal's large hands, his vice-like grip choking the air from her lungs, stays plastered in my mind.

-------------------------------------------------------

       I bolt up in my bed, a cold sweat soaking through my dusty-yellow nightgown. My breaths are shallow and irregular. I reach down, picking up Somadae, Sachiko's old bunny. I hold the floppy pink bunny to my chest, breathing in the faded scent of Sachiko.

       I obtained, or, to be more precise, I re-obtained, Somadae on Sachiko's 8th birthday, which was also the day that she died. But, thanks to that evil principal's good-for-nothing son, Sachiko's body simply "disappeared".

       I clench my teeth in anger. "At least those bastards got what they deserved," I mutter under my breath. You see, the principal committed suicide by leaping from the roof of our school, which broke his neck upon impact. That bastard son of his received the electric chair after he murdered four young, innocent children, but, strangely enough, not a single bit of information was released about the fourth child.

       The other three children consisted of one boy and two girls. The boy's name was Ryou Yoshizawa, and the two girls were Tokiko Tsuji and Yuki Kanno. Poor Tokiko had had a large portion of her head cut off by scissors, Yuki had lost her left eye, and Ryou was stabbed in the stomach countless times. All of them had their tongues removed after they were dead.

       I stare solemnly at the ground. 'What makes it worse, is that those kids were the ones who helped me out of my depression after Sachiko was murdered.' I hug Somadae tighter and pull the covers back over my chilled body. My eyes flutter closed, the darkness wrapping around me like soft, warm velvet, pulling me into a deep slumber.