Stood Up

My middle finger bent over my index finger, crossing them and praying in hope that I at least get a D+ after studying so hard with Robert, or Mr. Downey, or whatever. My eyes pierced Mr. Santiago as he walked in absolute slow motion handing students their test one by one, pointing out some feedback, and taking his time. Kat's fingers started dancing on my back and figuring it might be worth the wait, I turned around to see what Kat wanted from me. She started wiggling her eyebrows maniacally and danced in her seat, with her fists pumping in the air. I had a puzzled look on as she continued wiggling her finger at me.

"Did you think I didn't see Mr. Hottie teasing you in the car?" She smirked devilishly.

"You were fake sleeping?" I facepalmed myself.

"No," She said. "I was sleeping until Robert hit the brakes at a stop and my head hit the metal part of the seatbelt. And you and him got it on, girl! So what, you two dating or something? Or you just there to get a little something something, if you know what I mean."

"..Ugh, no, you nasty. We just tease each other sometimes for fun, no biggie." 

I turned back around in my seat to stare at Mr. Santiago coming my way. My eyes kept fluttering between him, the clock, the tests in his hand, and Matt who kept blowing kisses to me from across the classroom. I sank in my chair, tapping the floor with my foot anxiously, waiting for the tests. Soon, he stopped in front me and put on a cheeky smile and for the first time, it was aimed at me. I smiled back and gripped onto the test in his hands and stared at the red marking on my paper while he patted my back and complimented me. The red marking wasn't an F this time. It was a C+. I got above average... I got above average...

"I got above average!" I said out loud, catching people's attention. I chuckled to myself, slightly embarrassed, and hung my head over my neck, smiling to myself dumbly. I have to tell Robert. This tutoring thing actually worked, for once. I waited until Mr. Santiago was on the other side of the classroom and then I jerked my phone from my back pocket and texted Robert about my math score. I got an instant reply about a celebration tonight and that he's going to tell my parents about the accomplishment. I sighed happily and prop my chin on my hand, looking around the classroom. I stare at Matt again who is suddenly interest into his phone and then coincidentally looks up at me with a smile. Then a wave of vibrations are coming from my phone and I snatch it up, to see a text from Matt.

Meet me at the Vincenti Ristorante for our little date when the bell rings.

Why don't you just drive me after school finishes? I wrote back.

I have to set up the surprise.

I hate surprises. I looked at him across the room and stick out my tongue.

I know.

As if on cue, the bell rings and everybody in the classroom piles through the doorway, rushing to go to their lockers. I obtain some things from my locker and shove them in my bag, dashing out of school and rushing to the restaurant. When I arrived there as quickly as possible, I sat at a table and prepared myself; tucking in a napkin at the collar of my shirt, holding a fork in one hand and a spoon in the other.  I waited for Matt with a smile plastered on my face and waiters would come by asking for what I would like to order, but I postponed it, explaining how I was waiting for someone. An hour flew by and my hopes started to dim that he wouldn't be able to make it for our date. Maybe he went home to get dressed in a suit? Don't boys do that? I sighed and my smile altered into a small frown once I realized two hours passed by. I tried my best not to put a scowl on my face when I noticed the waiters pitying me. When three hours passed by, I stared at Kat when she came inside. She sat across from me and waved to me.