03 · The Domino Effect

Start from the beginning

Mikaela and I took turns to observe and drink our beverages while the two had a one-on-one convo. Eric was the one facing us, and he did a good job keeping a solemn expression. His dad taught him well. All we really witnessed was a bunch of nodding from Eric as he listened to the guy. We were too far to pick up anything.  

However, my eyes nearly jumped out when Eric began to burst into laughter. Eric laughed openly like he made a new best friend.

As the two shared a chuckle, Mikaela looked just as curious before an amused grin appeared on her face. "Wow, looks like he found a way to Eric's heart."

My jaw dropped. "Mikaela, don't say that! Do you not remember how much I despise him?" 

"Don't worry, he's going to get it." 

After watching how my own best friend betrayed me for the enemy, the boys finally stood up and shook hands. Eric grinned and said something to my locker buddy, but I wasn't the greatest of lip readers. Before Joshua could leave, he was put to a halt once Eric's mom joined them and offered him a cup of something. From what I managed to pick up, she made him a caramel macchiato.  

Since my locker buddy turned, I got a view of his side profile and the rather charming smile he gave Eric's mom. His smile made Joshua look even better than that scowl he had on earlier.

"This is some love triangle. I've never seen Eric's mom so pleased with a boy," Mikaela pretended to play reporter by holding her cellphone like a microphone. 

Darting a look at her, Mikaela backed away when she realized her humor wasn't amusing me as planned. He must had put a spell on the Park family! There was no way people could not see the kind of person he truly was. Unconsciously staring at them, Mikaela caused me to snap out of it and pulled my arm to indicate that Eric was coming back. 

When we sat back into our normal positions, I eyed Eric as I waited for a response.

"He… got hired. He's actually not that bad."

"Unbelievable," I gasped. 

Feeling my throat run dry, I swore I wasn't making any of this up. It annoyed me that this jerk was being Mr. Perfect around my friends.

Eric then waved his hands out and explained, "Olivia, listen. I get it. He shouldn't have treated you like that, and I will talk to him. On a job level though, he's everything my parents are looking for."

I nodded. "I understand."

Eric seemed unconvinced. "You serious?"

I nodded.

"Wow," he remarked before releasing a sigh of relief.

"Now if you excuse me, I'm going to have a serious conversation with your new employee. Let's go — hey, where's Mikaela?"

Following the direction Eric was staring at, looked like Mikaela O'Connor beat me to it. She was already outside talking to my locker buddy. Not expecting that at all, neither of us had a clue what was happening outside. Mikaela had her arms folded, but her back was towards us. I clearly saw my locker buddy's expression the entire time. His facial expression never changed, but he appeared to be listening to whatever Mikaela was telling him. 

What made my heart beat from anxiety was when Mikaela held her left hand up — almost like she was signaling him to wait — and started to go back inside the café. Her head made it halfway through the door before she motioned me to come outside. Throwing Eric a doubtful look, he insisted that I go outside so I could finally get the confrontation I wanted. He was right. 

Standing up from my seat, I mentally prepared myself for what I was going to say to this guy. Once I stepped foot outside to see Joshua, I ended up forgetting everything within that ten-second time frame. As we exchanged glances with one another, a new expression formed on his face.