Rick's New Love

You were one of the newest assets to the prison group and had been inducted as the new doctor.

You were only a psychologist and had just graduated from med school when the outbreak started, but still had enough medical training to be your group's physician.

It didn't take long for you to develop a crush on the group leader, Rick. He was still somehow so handsome and sensitive. He had a big heart but a firm first.

One afternoon, you were helping Carol cook when you finally asked,

"Is Rick in any type of relationship.. Do you know?"

Carol shook her head and said,

"He's widowed.. Why? Do you like him?"

You blushed and said,

"Yeah.. A little."

"Do you ever do any chores with him?" Carol asked.

"No.. I wish."

"I'll tell you what. I was supposed to help him tend to his crops tomorrow but how about we switch chores?"

You hugged Carol and continued to talk about Rick.

The following day, things were going perfectly between you and Rick. You were talking, laughing, and flirting.

This went on for a few more days until one day, Rick was showing you how to harvest some peas, but you had to lean in close to him to see.

As Rick walked you through the steps, he found himself leaning in closer and closer to you until you leaned in too and your lips met.

After exchanging a couple of light quick kisses, Rick cradled your face in his hands and kissed you slowly but more romantically.

By nighttime, you and Rick were the talk of the prison.

Carl wasn't the least bit happy and made sure both you and Rick knew. Finally, Rick had enough and followed Carl back to his cell.

"Carl, we need to talk." Rick said softly.

"There's nothing to talk about." Carl snapped back.

"Yes there is.. Look, I know you're not happy about me and (y/n), I understand that.."

"Dad, I'm happy for you. I really am. It's just... It's hard seeing you with someone other than mom."

Rick sat down next to carl and put his arm around him and said,

"I know, son.. It's taken a toll on both of us, but we need to keep moving on. You know Carl, last night I kept catching myself smiling in my sleep and I'd start laughing out of nowhere.. I haven't done something like that since I met your mom."

"It sounds like you're falling in love." Carl said as he looked up at his dad.

Rick just shook his head as he smiled and said,

"I don't know, but Carl I just want you to realize this: there is not a person in this world who could ever replace your mother. I'm just trying to move on with my life and regain my sanity.."

Carl put his arm around his dad and said,

"I know, dad. It's okay.."

The next morning, you were walking around outside the cell blocks when you saw a body laying out on the concrete. You quietly and carefully approached it. It was motionless and very decayed.

You thought maybe someone shot it or killed it last night so you started to turn it over, but when you did it suddenly reached out and grabbed your arm, snarling and growling at you.

You screamed at the top of your lungs, totally unarmed and afraid.

You kept screaming and screamed Rick and Daryl's names for help.

Daryl was the first one to reach you and quickly stabbed the walker with an arrow. It immediately released its grip on you and dropped back flat on the ground.

Rick quickly ran up to you and hugged you tight. He asked you if you were okay and if you had been bitten. You were so shaken you could barely even move.

Rick cradled your face in his hands since you weren't responding and said,

"(Y/n), answer me. Have you been bitten?"

You looked him in the eyes and just shook your head.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He asked again.

You just nodded and said,

"I just got scared."

Rick kissed your forehead and embraced you tightly.

You were so shaken by what happened that morning that when Rick started to tell you goodnight you said,

"Well Rick, would you mind actually sleeping in my cell tonight? I'm still too scared to be alone."

Rick just nodded and said,

"If that's what you want, I'll do it."

So Rick followed you to your cell and you were both finally able to fit on your little bitty bed.

"Thank you so much for sleeping in here with me, Rick. It means a lot." You said as you caressed his hand with your thumb.

"Don't mention it. Besides, you mean too much to me, now. I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe." Rick told you before kissing your bare shoulder and falling asleep.