Chapter 2: King Renly and His Lovely Queen

~Kasondra~

The cold wind whipped underneath my  hood and chilled my ears. Maybe sending mother would have been the best option. A guard dressed in heaven armor lead me to where harsh fighting could be heard. A group of soldiers gathered to watch these fights. Swords clashed and grunts filled the air.

Blue banners with white stags were drove into the ground. Men sat on horses to get a better view of this fight. From the way cheers were echoing and beer was spilling, this was the final round. My green gown collected mud and grim on the hem but at least the heavy fur cloak would keep the cold away.

My own banner men stuck close behind as I eyed the fighters. Both were tall and broad shouldered. Though one carried a small axe and the other, an embroiled shield with various sun's on the front. Sitting before then was are my Baratheon with a anxious smirk on his face.

The beautiful woman beside him must have been his blushing new bride. Although the look on her face was far from innocent. Her chest rose and fell with excitement of the battle. She stood up suddenly and cheered, "Loras! High garden!"

Ah, Ser Loras. It seemed so long ago that he had placed that rose in my hand. Everything seemed so simpler then. 

The larger knight knocked the other on his arse, hitting him once in the jaw and pinning him to the ground. He drew a dagger from his pocket and held it to his throat. My eyes went wide for I feared this would turn bloody. Loras' helmet lid was flipped open to show how scared he actually was. "Yield. I yield."

Margarey Tyrell slowly sat. The king began to clap and the grin was far too happy. "Well fought. Approach." He beckoned. The fighter approached before kneeling in respect. "Rise. Remove your helm." The air was thick with tension before his fingers grasped the end and lifted the helmet.

My breath caught in my throat as I saw who was beneath. A woman with short blonde hair and piercing blue eyes was in place of the man I thought would be there. Her face wasn't smiling or cheerful, but a deep frown.

"You are all your father promised and more, my lady." Renly spoke with high regard. I've seen Ser Loras bested once or twice, but never quite in that fashion."

Oh I'm sure you have King Renly.

Loras licked his cracked lips and looked away. "Now, now, my love. My brother fought valiantly for you." Margarey looked to her husband with a soft smile.

"That he did my queen. But there can only be one champion. Brienne of Tarth, you may ask anything of me you desire. If it is within my power. It is yours." This woman intrigued me. She was someone I wished very much so to be.

Brienne kneeled again. "Your grace, I ask the honor of a place in your Kingsguard." The crowd murmured and even my own men bickered like children behind me. Loras' mouth formed a shocked look and he shook his head in disbelief. "I will be one of your seven, pledge my life to yours, and keep you safe from all harm."

Renly sat in silence for awhile. All eyes were on their King to make a decision. "Done. Rise Brienne of the Kingsguard." Renly clapped and his Queen just looked at the woman below with a grin. She slowly began to clap but her eyes fell on me. I could feel my face warm with embarrassment.

Why was I so flushed all of a sudden?

The guard in yellow looked at me and then stepped forward. I followed with my eyes forward. "Your Grace. I have the honor to bring you Lady Kasondra Stark. Who was sent as an envoy by her brother Robb, Lord of Winterfell."

"Lord of Winterfell. And King, in the North." I could hear the men laughing around me but I lifted my chin and looked the man right in the eye.

"Lady Kasondra, I'm pleased to meet you. We haven't met before but I thought highly of your father. May I present my wife, Margaery of House Tyrell?" Margaery smiled and nodded her head to me. The long brown hair was tied back in two braids and her porcelain skin shined in the light.

"You are very welcome here, Princess Kasondra." That was the first time I had been referred to as such. I quickly shook my head.

"Thank you, my lady. But I am no Princess." Margaery smiled, a real genuine smile and laughed. Her voice was bell-like and gentle. She was fit to be a real queen.

"With that beauty, you could have fooled me." The redness heated my face again. I saw Renly's face harden but soften almost all the same. "I am sorry for your loss."

"You are far too kind." Thanking Margaery, my attention needed to focus on the matter at hand. I looked to Renly.

"My lady, I swear to you I will see the Lannisters answer for your father's murder. When I take King's Landing, I'll bring you Joffery's head." The crowd erupted in cheers. They raised their tankards and clanked them together.

"On a silver platter, if you will my lord. My direwolf hunger's more than I at some moments." The intensity reflected in my gray orbs. Margaery seemed to notice this as well and her smile grew sinister. But I didn't fear her, I related with her. We were both young girls that were forced into a life of sewing, knitting and etiquette since we were toddlers.

Bullshit.

"Your grace." Brienne barked. I closed my eyes and turned my head towards her. The anger wasn't there anymore, only a hint of the pain that was to come. "...and you should kneel when you approach the King."

"There's no need for that. Lady Stark is an honored guest." Renly announced. The blonde woman seemed to back off but another yipping mutt was biting at my heels.

"Has your brother marched against Tywin Lannister yet?" I bit my bottom lip but held in my harsh comments. Loras stood there with his mouth agape after I looked over my shoulder.

"Perhaps he did. Maybe he did that while I was watching my father's head roll before the bastards grandson. My memory is a bit fuzzy." I growled. I turned around with a calm expression and this time my eyes were on the Queen.

"If Robb Stark wants a pact with us, he should come himself. Not hide behind his sister's skirts like a scared little boy." My fists clenched at my side. My nerves were fried from this inconsiderate asshole.

"My brother is fighting a war, not playing games like you, Ser Loras. Besides, I think you may need new armor, it's gotten a little dirty." I winked at him. Margaery and Renly chuckled. The men around me also shared a laugh at their brother's expense.

Renly stepped down from his throne and held out his hand to follow him.

"Don't worry my lady, our war has only just begun."

~Chapter End~