20

Grey is tempted to forget about everything else and join her anyway when a knock sounds at the door.
"Dammit. Can't a newly married man get any time with his wife? Later Ari, I promise. Now get some sleep." Grey isn't happy about the interruption but as quickly as Ari falls asleep it's just as well.

"Who is it Alexis?" Grey demands irritably. Alexis isn't even fazed by his angry growls. Grey is impressed. Yesterday she would have cowered from him. But then he looks over and sees Jeshua and realizes that he's probably the reason she feels safe. He could take down Jeshua but not without some severe pain in the process.

"Lord Taren sends you a message. He would like to meet in conference with you and Lady Ariele and Lady Anna as soon as possible. And Lady Anna added a message as well. She invites you and Lady Ari to her apartments for a family dinner. She hopes that you will come." The question is implied, Alexis not knowing how things in the past were doesn't hear the question. Jeshua is a little perplexed at the wording but doesn't think much of it.

But Grey understands. Anna still isn't sure that she's been forgiven. She doesn't order him or command him to attend. Grey sighs, he's not angry anymore. But the damage was done and it will take him a longtime to get over it, but not now. Family implies that Jaylen will be there and he wants to have time with her before time is up.

"Send this reply, If Taren wants to have a meeting it will have to be here and we'll include Jeshua. As for dinner, tell Lady Anna that we'll be there." Grey says.

Jeshua is flattered at being invited to a council with Taren, Grey, Lady Anna and Lady Ariele.

Alexis goes back to the door with the reply. And is startled when Grey bows to her. "I owe you a great deal Alexis. Thanks to you I have my aunt back where she belongs. She was the prisoner you saw at your former employer's place. Perhaps we don't have much time before the end but, thanks to you we will have some." With that Grey makes and hands her a dress.

"I know that you very likely don't have much. You shouldn't be seen wearing the same as the castle servants now. Please take this dress." Grey says to the wide eyed girl.

"Lord Grey, you are too generous. Lady Ariele already gave me the dress she wore earlier today." Alexis can't refuse outright, but feels it only right to let him know that she'd already received one dress.

"That is Ari's gift. This is mine. I made it plain so that the servants won't think you're getting above yourself. But maybe you could do your own embellishments? But if you have any troubles you must let us know, or tell Jeshua and he'll let us know." And likely take the head off anybody that gives her troubles as well.

Grey wishes that this room had a maid's room like he'd taken over from Anna. He'd prefer her to stay nearby. But he already ordered Jeshua to stay with them. Things were going to be a bit difficult for the next few days. After that it won't matter at least not for him or Ari.

Alexis takes the light grey dress reverently. "Thank you Lord Grey. I'll let Jeshua know." She's already thinking about what embroidery designs she can add to the beautiful dress.

Grey hadn't missed Jeshua's reaction to the news that Lady Jaylen had returned. He pulls Jeshua aside. "I don't know if Anna wants this publicized or not, or if even Jaylen wants it known. So please keep it to yourself. She will be a big help in the fight ahead." Jeshua nods emphatically. Jaylen was well known for her strength in magic abilities.

Just then another knock and then Anna and Taren enter. Grey turns to Alexis, "You're free for the rest of the night. I'll take care of Ari's needs." Alexis gives a quick curtsy. "Jeshua will find you when his duties here are done. It shouldn't take long." Grey had no desire to have Jeshua learn everything that will happen. With those words Alexis gives him a big smile and leaves.

"Anna have you made it official yet?" Grey knows that his words are a little enigmatic but is sure that Anna understands him.

"Yes, I've told him and appointed him to your former position, I wish you would have reconsidered Grey." Anna is truly sad by his decision. "I even gave him a lordship so the title will remain correct."

"Are you sure Grey? It hasn't been made public yet there is still time to change your mind." Taren is ambivalent about the situation. He's ready to take on the responsibilities full time but at the same time doesn't want them under these conditions.

Grey shakes his head. "I've been in charge for a long time now Taren. It's time for someone else to take the lead and for reasons that Anna is fully aware of. I've recommended Jeshua here as second in command. What do you say about that Taren? Anna?"

"I think Commander Jeshua would do wonderful in the post of second in command." Anna says warmly.

"I think it long past time for him to be raised to a position more fitting his potential." Taren says almost impatiently. "There will be problems with some of the men though being promoted to so far above them in one jump."

Grey shrugs uninterested. "Not my problem. Jeshua can hold his own against them, that's part of why I suggested him. That and I trust him, as does Ari. What is my problem and yours is that a whole bloody third of the guards are corrupted by the enemy. I'm thinking that many of them are the officers. You need someone you can trust completely. And this will give him a reason to move into the castle where he'll be safer. For now he can stay here with Ari and me. After that it will be up to you how you want to arrange things."

Grey doesn't really care. A few precious days are all that he has left and he doesn't want to waste them dealing with castle defense. "Now that that is settled Jeshua, I think you should find Alexis. Taren will go into a more detail on defenses and what not with you later. Now there is something we need to plan in secret. I'm sorry but the fewer that know about it the better." Grey has a hard timekeeping his feelings in check. He knows that Jeshua wouldn't understand and would likely try to stop him. And he's not sure that he would try to stop Jeshua.

Jeshua looks a bit hurt but goes willingly enough. He can't wait to find Alexis and tell her the news. He wonders a bit about the secrecy but isn't too worried. He trusts Commander Grey.