"No sir, he wasn't in the great hall. I stayed there as long as I could, but he never came in." Alexis says as she decides to do a simpler hair style.

"Thank you Alexis. We'll be going to the dungeon to interrogate prisoners. When we get back I for one will want a bath. Can you go through these roses and save the ones that you can and do whatever you can with the others?"

"Yes, ma'am. If I might ma'am? You're bed looks just like a fairy princesses bower. It's beautiful." Alexis is enchanted with the lights mixed with the flowers.

Ari motions Alexis closer, "I think so too. Grey spoils me with his flowers."

Grey hears the exchange and blushes. But is saved when there is a knock. Alexis goes to answer it. "Commander, it's for you." Alexis says and backs away. She goes to the tub and happily starts fishing out the flowers.

Ari leaves her to it. She goes to the door to see what's detaining Grey. "...late." Is all she hears of the report as she nears the door.

"I see, is any of it salvageable?" Grey asks grimly.

"Yes, commander. Much of it is hard food stuff like beans. We won't starve but the high ups won't be liking the food much. Begging your pardon ma'am." The guard says to Ari. Counting Grey as a soldier and not one of the high ups.

"No need soldier. My father was a soldier and I've lived off of army rations on more than one occasion. Amazing thing about hunger, it makes even the worst food taste like honey." Ari says in amusement.

The guardsman smiles in return until he notices Grey glowering at him. Ari notices the ashen look the guardsman takes on and gives Grey a glare of her own.

"Make sure the hard food stuffs haven't been poisoned." Ari says thoughtfully. She knows that the Aelven have done that on more than one occasion.

Grey lets off a few more expletives and nods at the guard. The guard gives her a look of respect and runs back to the food stores.

Grey shuts the door less than gently. "Poisoned?" Grey asks pointedly not looking at Ari.

"It was a tactic the Aelven used. They'd go on a raid. Find the food stores and destroy what they could and poisoned the salvageable foods. Then when the defenders were too sick and already dying they'd go in and kill everyone, or if they fancied they'd give them an antidote and took them. Brutal but efficient killers each and everyone."

"Was there not one of that people that had redeeming qualities?" Grey asks more than a little sickened by the waste and brutality.

"One I think. He was ordered to dance with me often by the queen, but he never once raped me. And in his own way did what he could to stop others from doing so."

"Oh? A friend was he?" Grey is a bit jealous.

"A friend? I wouldn't say that. He never once spoke to me or even smiled. If he had not even he would have been exempt from the queens revenge."

"Not even he? Who was he?" Now Grey is jealous.

Ari smiles, "The queen's son." She looks over at Grey and sees how upset he is. "Look Grey, I don't think he liked me, I think he just didn't like what the queen had the others doing. I just wish I had the chance to thank him for protecting me like he had. But that's all. It's not like... look his reputation was no better than the others except he didn't hurt me that's all. If I did have the chance to say anything he'd likely spit on me okay?" Ari is getting upset now. How can she explain the relief she felt knowing one Aelven wouldn't hurt her?

Grey relents. "I'm sorry Ari. Sometimes it's hard to see things. There are times when you seem so vulnerable. I just want to hurt those that hurt you. Then there are times when I see just how strong you are and it makes me feel useless. And I'm not used to feeling useless."

Ari goes over to him and holds him. "It doesn't matter whether you're the one protecting me or I'm the one protecting you. We're a team. Teams work together using each others strengths to make it work."

Grey smiles a bit and holds her tight. "Are you sure you're only twenty-four?"

Ari nods and enjoys the feeling of being loved and protected. But like all moments this one is fleeting as well.

"Excuse me master, mistress. There is something you should know, my former master, well he let it slip that some of the guard were helping him. And I know that some of the servants are." Alexis says and stands nervously.

"What else Alexis?" Ari can tell that there is more but Alexis is terrified. "We won't hurt you."

"Well he didn't say so at least not to me, but I got the impression that even some of the tops here were helping him." Now Alexis is openly terrified.

Ari goes over to her and gives her a hug. As she says, "We already figured that there are traitors in the castle. It only goes to follow he'd find ones on all social strata." But her words don't give the girl much comfort.

"Alexis don't worry. You'll be protected from harm. If that scapegrace ever gets here he'll be protecting you while Ari and I are not. Okay? Don't worry we won't leave until he gets here. But if he doesn't get here soon he'll be in big..."

Just then Jeshua comes in at a rather fast pace and finds a sword at his throat. "Uh, yeah. Sorry commander for being late. I guess I should have knocked first huh?"

"You think? Really? Perhaps I should rethink my recommendation to Taren?" Grey is angry, he could easily have killed Jeshua before he knew it.

"Please commander don't do that. I wanted to have a word with a slime ball that has been bothering Alexis. I followed him out and found him breaking into one of our food storage locations. He might survive the beating, maybe." Jeshua wasn't too concerned about it one way or another. The other's act was treasonous and punishable by death.

"When I realized that the guards stationed in that area were notably absent I found a couple of off duty guards to watch things while I talked to the officer in charge. The two reported in on time and were there for every check. So following a hunch we headed back, the officer and I and waited. Sure enough when it was time for the check the two missing guards showed up. The officer had me take them to the dungeon. He's a superior so I have to follow his orders." Jeshua says ingenuously.

"Oh shut up Jeshua." Grey is in no mood for Jeshua's antics. The situation has become critical. "Stay here with Alexis and protect her." Grey says before talking to the guards at his door.

"Jeshua, remember what I said yesterday? I mean it. Keep your hands to yourself." Ari warns Jeshua. Jeshua is huge, taller than Grey and bigger as well but even he steps back from Ari.

"Lady Ariele, I swear I won't hurt Alexis. That slime ball that I dealt with this morning was working as a procurer for her services. I set him straight. He had her terrified. She told me a little about him yesterday. It seems they both worked for her old master. He was just continuing the abuse the master encouraged there. But it didn't work so well here. Alexis, refused to do what he said. He's hurt her, and I don't think that should go unpunished." Jeshua says in a low voice.

"Jeshua, you're just a big old teddy bear aren't you?" Ari smiles.

Jeshua is confused. "Lady Ariele, what's a teddy bear?"

"It's a toy. An outer layer that looks like a bear and stuffed with old rags or something soft. It looks fierce on the outside, but is a softie inside." Ari explains.

"Shh, you'll ruin my reputation if you let that get out." Jeshua says smiling. He liked that comparison and it works for him.

"But only when it comes to women." Grey says coming up to them. "Jeshua here fights like a bear. He's one of our best fighters. We are staying until Taren gets here. Some of this information is too important to wait." But Grey is getting impatient.

"I did send a message. You should have received it some time ago." Jeshua says ruefully. "I sent it with a young boy and maybe the guards scared him."

"Children aren't scared of you so why should a couple of guards scare them?" Grey asks, his laughter hidden. Ari smiles wistfully.