"If I didn't do any permanent harm to her in destroying that last compulsion then she'll be fine. I think she'll do wonderful as a lady's maid. I saw that she was the only one taking care of a guest of her employer. A lady of some import I'd say. If she'll let me I'll find out some more. Any information about the enemy could be useful."

Ariele speaks out but hadn't meant to say her thoughts as well.

"You mean her former employer is Anna's enemy?" Both Grey and Taren now look at the sleeping Alexis with deep distrust.

Ari looks at them both with a bland expression. "Yes, do you have a problem with that? That man hurt her more than you can possibly imagine. And she is no longer a threat to us."

Ari directs her attention to Grey with that last statement and he understands her. Or at least he thinks he understands her. He narrows his eyes and presses his lips together in his distrust.

Ari just raises her eyebrow as she looks at him. "She needs compassion and time." Just that and Grey relents. He just has to trust Ari's judgement and he doesn't like not being in control of the situation. He stomps back over to the window and stares at the fountain.

Ari turns her attention to Taren. Taren holds his hands up in surrender, "If Grey feels that she is no threat far be it from me to interfere." And he receives one of her rare smiles in return.

Taren swallows hard and joins Grey at the window. "No wonder you're in love with her Grey." That's all he says before he's pinned by Grey's stare and wonders just what he can do to survive.

Grey doesn't say anything and as the time drags on Taren starts to sweat more and more. Grey doesn't do this often, but when he does it rarely bodes well for the one so pinned.

Grey shakes himself and looks away. "I'm sorry Taren. That was uncalled for. Am I that obvious?"

"You? Obvious? You can teach a stone to show no emotion Grey. But I've spent over a century studying you. There is a barely discernible softness when you watch her and you are far more protective of her than you have ever been to those under your care. There's a certain look, it's well hidden, that I've never seen you use on another before." Taren says carefully, not sure if this is a path of hidden traps or not.

"Well at least not everyone will see it then. You're right, I love her. I'd do anything for her, but the one thing that she said I must do." He turns from Taren and looks back to the fountain. Taren isn't sure if Grey is done or not so he stands there.

"She says that I have to kill her to save everyone in the castle." Grey says starkly. "She says that if I don't the castle will fall and we all die."

"Grey..." Taren says stunned. So that is the decision that is his alone. Taren feels like he's sucker punched and it's not him that has to make the decision. He feels sick for his brother.

"She's dying anyways. Why should I save everyone if I have to lose her no matter what?" Grey says demanding yet pleading for a reason.

Taren has no words. He hesitantly places his hand on Grey's shoulder for comfort. And is grateful when Grey doesn't just push it off.

"That is the decision I have to make Taren." Grey is on the verge of tears but is comforted by Taren's presence. "And it's one that I can't make."

Ari is aware of the conversation but makes no move to join in. Instead she allows herself to be distracted by Alexis when she wakes up. "I'm sorry to have caused you so much pain Alexis. How do you feel now?" Ari asks as she helps the girl sit up.

They had moved Alexis to the couch when she passed out. Alexis looks around her disoriented and confused at first. "I'm fine ma'am, just a little headache."

Anna gives her a cup and tells her to drink, "You'll feel better after you do." It was nothing more than water but Anna is counting on the healing properties to help the girl.

Alexis drinks the cup dry. "Oh, that tastes so good. And I do feel much better, like a weight has been taken away from me."

Ari is pleased to hear that and so is Anna. It meant that the compulsion is gone, truly gone. But now Ari has to look at her memories some more and she's afraid that won't be any fun for the girl.

"Alexis, I need you to let me into your memories. I need you to tell me about your former employer and his special guest. Will you do that for me?" Ari asks gently but still the girl starts shaking in fear.

"If you insist. My master wasn't a very nice man. My parents didn't know about his reputation when they sent me to serve in his house." Her memories take the story into reality and Ari sees the true master no longer clothed in shadows. She gleans much as Alexis continues and is intrigued by the mysterious house guest that is more like an honored prisoner than guest.

She tries to direct Alexis to memories of the guest and then grasps Anna's hand when she gets a clear picture. At Anna's gasp she knows that the guest is someone that the enemy doesn't want them to know about.

Ari next tries to get more info, "This honored guest do you know where she is now?"

Alexis tries to smile but fails. Some of the memories weren't very nice and were very painful. "He doesn't let anyone leave. She's with him now, just a few days march from here."

"Thank you Alexis." She turns from the girl and looks at Taren.

"Taren, is there a man you can trust absolutely to look after this girl?" Ari asks.

Taren thinks for a minute. "There's Jeshua. I'd trust him with my life." And Grey nods his agreement, but with reservation.

He motions Ari over and when she gets there says, "Jeshua's reputation is as bad as mine only with the servants. He loves women and pursues them wholeheartedly."

Grey regrets his choice of words at the dangerous narrowing of Ari's eyes. "If we tell him hands off, he won't touch her, I swear it. He's as protective of women as he is a lover of them."

"Fine will you send for him please?" Ari asks and Taren doesn't daresay that he's already assigned other duties for the night.

"Yes, it may take awhile though." Taren warns.

"We have as long as we need." Ari says and leaves the two men together.

"I can see why you love her, but I'm glad it's you and not me." Taren says as he sends a guard off with instructions.

"Grey, we've found Jaylen." Grey's amusement at Taren's words dries up and he turns to Anna.