When John woke up, the sound of his alarm clock scared him so much he nearly fell out of bed. That annoying buzzing was one of the only things he didn't miss while on that spaceship.
"Alright everyone, rise and shine!" his mother's voice called. School, John was actually going...to school. Yay. He crawled out from under the covers, his legs feeling more sore than painful, and picked out his outfit for the day. This Would be quite a triumphant return, wouldn't it? Everyone still thought he was dead. As soon as John got dressed there was a knock on the door.
"Come in." John sighed, pulling a comb through his hair. Sherlock walked cautiously in, still in the clothes he presumably slept in, with his hair sticking up in all directions.
"You're going to school?" he asked.
"Yes well, I have to. I can't stay dead forever." John pointed out.
"This can't be a good idea, they're still looking for us, I swear I heard voices last night, they're searching." Sherlock warned.
"I thought we agreed I need a normal life?" John insisted.
"You agreed to that, I just nodded and said you were crazy." Sherlock pointedout.
"You still nodded, that usually means yes." John insisted. Sherlock just laughed, a beautiful sight this early in the morning.
"The baby's gotten bigger. It looks human, I don't know how long it will take, but it already looks cramped in that tube. I'd say at most a day, and then we'll be fathers." Sherlock muttered. John smiled, that was such an elderly term, but somehow he loved it.
"Can I see it?" he asked hopefully.
"Of course." Sherlock agreed. John followed him into the guest room, his mother and Harry still arguing down the hall about whether or not Harry could wear her alien shirt to school. As promised, the tube was on the bedside table except the baby was much bigger than when John last saw it. It looked human, like a baby, with distinguishable arms, legs, head; John could even see what looked to be shut eyes.
"It's beautiful." He muttered, going closer to see the baby moving slightly up and down with the current of the liquid.
"My thoughts exactly." Sherlock agreed. John tapped the glass, as if expecting the eyes to open, but nothing happened. His beautiful baby boy, so close towaking up.
"I never would've thought that I could have a baby, I never thought that I'd be a parent." John admitted.
"Oh, you would never imagine my surprise. I thought that once it left the ship that it would die, but it seems to be, if anything, thriving here on earth. Only time will tell." Sherlock admitted. John stepped back and took Sherlock's hand again, looking at their child bobbling in the tube.
"I'm glad to be a parent with you." He decided with a smile. He didn't see Sherlock's cheeks, but he was somewhat certain he was blushing again. The two of them headed downstairs for breakfast, where Mrs. Watson was toasting some bread and scrambling eggs, a very elaborate breakfast for what must be a Tuesday morning.
"I thought I'd never see you come down those stairs for breakfast again." she muttered, dropping her spatula to give John a big hug.
"Yes, here I am, it's alright." John assured, pushing his mother off of him.nSherlock looked at him as if that was some sort of sin, but sat down in his chair.
"So, you're going to school?" she asked.
"Yes, that's the plan. God knows how much make up work I'm going to have to do." John shuddered at the thought, accepting his breakfast with a smile. Sherlock was also given a plate, and he seemed very excited that you could spread fruit onto your bread. So as he attacked the jelly, John just poked around mindlessly at his food, not very hungry.
"What am I supposed to say?" John asked.
"When?" Mrs. Watson asked.
"When I get back, they'll want to know what happened, and I can't tell them the truth." He insisted.
"Well, honey, I'm not sure. You can't say you were on vacation; there were missing signs everywhere, just say that you'd rather not talk about it. That would cover it up I suppose." Mrs. Watson shrugged. John nodded silently, taking an experimental bite of his eggs. What would Greg say? Obviously he'll want the truth, and Mike will be pestering him the entire day of course.
"And what should I do?" Sherlock asked between mouthfuls, his mouth covered in strawberry jam. John could only smile; he was like an innocent, adorable little toddler.
"Well, I took today off from work to look after you, to make sure you don't destroy the house or anything, and I suppose we'll go from there. Besides, if there really are guards out there looking for you two, I think it'll be safer not to be alone." She decided. Sherlock nodded, looking at Mrs. Watson with newfound admiration.
"And if they come for me while I'm at school?" John asked.
"Call us; you'll have your phone. Hide, and call us, I'll come." Sherlock insisted.
"Well then they've got both of us, that's not a very good plan." John pointed out.
"What else do we have? I need to save you John, you're my responsibility, and I Can't let you die." Sherlock pointed out.
"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it I guess. But I better get going, don't want to be late for my own resurrection." John decided, finishing off his breakfast before scrambling off to grab his backpack. Oh, the homework he was going to have... When John scrambled down the stairs he saw both his mother and his smother (Sherlock) waiting for him at the bottom, as if giving him the proper send off. They both looked as if they were sending John off onto some magical quest or something, one that he might not return from.
"Be good John; just tell everyone you need your space, your silence." Mrs.Watson assured.
"And under no circumstances are you to tell them about me, my kind, or anything that happened to you. You need to make up a story, a convincing one." Sherlockinsisted.
"Ya, I know, I'm good at improvising." John assured, shouldering his backpack and stuffing his phone into his pocket.
"If anything happens we'll call you, and if anything happens, you call us." Mrs. Watson insisted.
"Ya, I know the drill." John assured.
"Be good John, be safe." Mrs. Watson said, overcome with emotion for some reason. Honestly, it wasn't like John went to school every day of his life. Then again, he hadn't for a while, and this time he might not come back. Mrs.Watson gave him a final hug, and Sherlock looked like he wanted a hug as well but that might be a little bit to, well, obvious. So John just gave him a reassuring nod and walked out the front door onto the dew speckled sidewalk, walking out to the end of the driveway and waiting for the bus to come. He Looked back only once to see two of the curtains get yanked back, as if two people were watching him but didn't want to get caught. John just sighed with a smile, watching a little bird hop along the road. Oh how he had missed Earth.