Story #1: For a Cupcake

I sat alone, crossed-legged, under a tree outside the school. The wind blowing softly tousled my already wild hair. A single tear slid down my cheek, landing with a small plop on my hand. The reason I was alone? I had fought with my best friend about the silliest thing in the whole wide world: a cupcake. A cupcake given to us from the cutest guy in the whole 4th grade.

“Lola?” a soft voice came from behind me. A slight whimper left my mouth as I glanced over my shoulder at her.

“What do you want, Dee?” I turned myself to look at her, pouting as I took in her image.

Dee was small for a fourth grader. She had auburn hair with hazel eyes. Her heart shaped face was baby smooth, and her cheeks were sprayed with lithe freckles. She was pretty; obviously a looker meant to make any boy fall for her. Like Zack; my crush, the cutest fourth grader ever.

“What do you want?” I repeated. She looked at me, her eyes tearing up. I quickly avoided her gaze. “Trying to work the old dog eye trick on me?” I looked up again.

“Lola I’m sorry,” she started, “I didn’t mean to-“

“Mean to what?!” I interrupted, “To make me look like an idiot in front of Zack?” My eyes filled with tears of anger and I turned away from Dee.

“I’m sorry” she finally said. She walked away, and leaves crunched under her shoes.

She was my best friend, and I had lost her: for a cupcake.