Chapter 16 - My First Kiss Went A Little Like This

Start from the beginning

"Emma." The Alpha corrected as he raised a brow at her, his tone indicating that he was not in the mood for negotiating.

With a huff, the Luna stomped towards to the seat, pushing it several paces back as she settled down. She reached out to grab Ciel's hand in hers, giving her husband a challenging look as though to ask him to question it.

Ciel stilled as he watched the Alpha's reaction.

The Alpha sighed, massaging his temples before he looked at the group again, "Well, I'm sure you've heard of the Successors' Circle." He started.

Everyone nodded except Ciel, who looked away bashfully when he realised that he was the only one. He had grown up in a tribe, they didn't have Successors like a pack does. The only properly regarded position for them was a Tribe Elder, and they don't replace them as often as packs replaced their top ranks.

Unlike packs, tribes replaced their Elders only when the Elders are getting old in age and are possibly close to death or unable to carry out their duties any longer. The next in line does not train specifically for the position, although they would have an idea who would be likely to step up in case the need arises.

Packs on the other hand, kept their top ranks: the Alpha, Luna, Beta and Gamma, relatively younger, usually in their prime age. An Alpha Successor was usually selected in their teens, although they were commonly descendants of their predecessors. The top ranks were customarily in their late twenties up until their late forties, before they would retire and let the next generation take over. They believed that this was the best way in which they could keep their packs current and in their best condition.

"Right." The Alpha paused for a moment to gather his thoughts, "Well, just as Theo is our Alpha Successor, next in line to take my place, the twins are the Beta Successors and Nathaniel, the Gamma Successor." The Alpha started to explain, "With every pack, a group of Successors like ours would be chosen once their potentials start to show, usually fourteen to eighteen. Sometimes it also depends on how soon the pack feels the need to find and train their next generation. Every year, a gathering is held for these chosen Successors to mingle, meet and greet, spar, learn, connect and all sorts of other things to build relations across packs and to let the Successors get to know who they will likely be ruling their packs with in the next generation." The Alpha continued and Ciel nodded attentively, "These events are usually international and it is a very prestigious affair, and sort of a rite of passage for all Successors."

The Alpha grinned at Ciel, "Kind of like a taste of what it would be like when they become officially part of the top ranks. We have our own gatherings as well, but you will only have to worry about that in a couple of years' time." The Alpha shifted his gaze to the rest of them, "This year, I believe the five of you are ready to attend as the representatives of our pack."

Ciel let his mouth drop. From what he could tell, this events were only attended by Successors, specifically chosen to be there. Who was he to join them on it? To make things worse, he knew that Nathaniel would be attending this gathering for the first time as well. At least he was Gamma Successor. What was he?

"I'm not sure I-" Ciel started, but was quickly interrupted by the Luna.

"You will have to familiarise yourself with these events soon, Ciel, as Theo's betrothed. Why not start now?" Luna Emma said with a wink as she tugged at Ciel's hand abruptly, making Ciel stumble towards her. Ciel's free hand shot out to steady himself against the backrest of the Luna's chair, effectively caging her in her seat. He let out a gasp when the Luna's smiling face appear right in front of his nose. Too close. He hurriedly tried to pull away, but Theo was faster.