“We have a couple right here,” the librarian plopped down several newspapers down on her desk, and Joy grabbed them right away.

            “Thank you very much,” Joy smiled quickly at the librarian before hurrying off with the papers to the first available table.

            She opened up to the first article, and began to read.

The Case Gone Cold

-September 25th-

     On February 21st Matthew J. Hastings, 22, moved into what is now known as the Hastings Manor with his new wife, Victoria E. Bristol-Hastings. Two years later, on that exact date, Victoria gave birth to their only child—Ren Hasting. Then, tragedy struck: Matthew Hastings was murdered July 3rd the following year. Shortly after, August 14th, Victoria died from drug overdose on sleeping pills she used because of her depression. Ren was taken in by some of her  few remaining relatives: her Aunt and Uncle. Matthew Hastings’ case puzzled the police and was recently declared a cold case. If anyone has any information or leads on the family-destroying murder, we strongly urge you to alert the law.

            Joy stared at the article, taking in all of the new information.

Matthew Hastings was killed in the Hastings Manor? The house right across from the school?

Joy couldn’t believe it. But then, she remembered. She remembered Juliana’s house, at her party, going through her journal.

Something beyond the ordinary.

Juliana thought there was something beyond the ordinary going on in that house. That house right across the street. The Hastings Manor. Joy grabbed the next newspaper the librarian had given him. This one was dated July 19th.

The Real Matthew Hastings

Matthew grew up in the spotlight of his family, being the oldest child. He high succeeded in school and got involved in many activities. That is, until he turned sixteen years of age. That’s when his younger sister was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder at age ten. The result of this was Violet—his sister—got the attention she was deprived of previously. When Matthew got to age eighteen he emancipated himself. Later on, when interviewed, Violet shakily told us:

“He said that he was sick of this family, that there was no point of being a part of it anymore.” So Matthew separated himself from his family, and went on to forget about them as he grew older. Matthew didn’t go to college, but took up a few jobs and lived in a small house on his own. That is, until he met Victoria Elizabeth Bristol, and fell head over heels for her. Three years later they got married and became Mr. and Mrs. Hastings. They lived happily and worked to fix up the house they bought to live in together.

Until July 3rd.

July 3rd was the night Matthew Hastings was killed. Victoria and Ren were both out visiting the new children’s museum that had opened up an hour away. When they were gone, around four o’clock pm, Matthew was murdered. Victoria came home at seven o’clock pm and was shocked to see her house rummaged through.

     “I called Matthew’s name when I saw our house was broken into. I hope so, so, so dearly that Matthew would come pounding down the stairs, or respond to my calls. He never did,” Victoria told the police later, in-between sobs. Police concluded that Matthew was killed by a knife wound. Though the house was rummaged through, mostly likely by the murderer, nothing was stolen. Through asking close friends and relatives, the media found out that it seemed Matthew had no real enemies.

     “Matthew wasn’t perfect…who is? But there was no one that wanted to kill him! He didn’t owe anyone any money. Come to think of it, he wasn’t especially rich, either. I don’t see any reason why anyone would want to kill him,” Matthew’s close friend and neighbor says.

Matthew Hastings’ murder is a mystery, and this mystery has gone cold.

Joy’s eyes watered slightly. What did Matthew ever do to anyone? Who would want to kill him? She sorted through the rest of the newspapers, and found nothing that interesting. Joy clutched the two newspapers that she had just read, trying to think of a way she could keep them to show to Skittles and Bird. Joy patted her pockets, and felt some coins.

Yes!  She thought, walked over to the copy machines, set the first article on the machine, and plunked some coins in. After repeating this process once more, she had the articles she needed. Joy put the newspapers back on the front desk.

“Thank you!” she told the librarian, who smiled at her.

“Have a good day, sweetie,” the librarian said as Joy walked towards the exit door.

Now, she thought, now I’ve got to show Skittles and Bird these articles and convince Skittles that this is real!