Chapter Thirteen

“Whoa,” Skittles breathed, “inside? Like, we break in?”

            “Yeah, I guess. Unless you have enough money to buy it,” Bird said sarcastically.

            “I doubt any kid has that sort of money,” she said quietly, “but are you serious about actually going in?”

            “I don’t know. Know that I think about it, it’s kinda’ stupid. I mean, going inside a house that could be haunted? A guy died in there!” Bird exclaimed.

            “On the opposite note, to me, it just keeps on sounding even more awesome!” Skittles grinned.

            “What?” Bird sputtered, “You actually want to do it?”

            “Yeah. And you’re coming with me.”

            “No way!” Bird shook his head quickly, “there’s no way you’re dragging me into this!”

            “Not only am I dragging you into this—like how you dragged me into this whole mystery thing, I may add—but I am also taking Joy with me,” Skittles had an excited glint in her eyes. “This is going to be wicked.”

*****

            Joy had been avoiding Juliana. Things just got way too awkward, since it was clear that Juliana knew Joy had been through her personal diary. Joy had been successful in avoiding her, that is, until that lunch period.

            “Hey Joy, I need to talk to you,” Juliana flashed a fake smile at Joy, who nodded uneasily and scooted over a bit on the lunch-table bench so Juliana could sit down.

            “Yeah? What’s up?” Joy tried to act like everything was fine.

            “You can cut the act. What did you read?” Juliana asked, getting straight down to business.

            “About…” Joy stalled, licking her lips. “…about how you thought that house was… beyond the ordinary,” Joy admitted finally.

            “Great. And why were you snooping through my stuff in the first place?” Juliana snapped.

            “I just got a little too curious. I shouldn’t have done it, I know!” Joy said quickly, her eyes growing wide.

            “You had no business going through my stuff,” Juliana growled. She was sick of Joy, honestly.

            “Whatever,” Juliana said icily before Joy could make up some excuse, or start to plead for forgiveness, “I don’t need this.” With that, Juliana got up and left Joy. Instead of feeling the pain of losing a friend, Joy felt relieved. It was all over.

*****

            “Yo, Bird!” Skittles called to Bird as she was walking down the hallway at the end of the school day. Bird finished packing up his backpack and slung it on his back.

            “Yeah?” Bird replied, turning to face Skittles.

            “You better not tell anyone about this,” Skittles whispered, “but I gotta say, man, you aren’t too bad.” Bird’s eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

            “What? You don’t hate my guts?” he asked, surprised.

            “No, idiot. I think you’re okay,” Skittles growled.