eighteen: careful

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:

| emma’s pov |

“Mom, why are there police outside?” I peeked through our living room’s curtain. There wasn’t anything happening around here, and there has never been a crime here, ever since I was born.

My mother shook her head, “I don’t know, Emma, but you should be careful, from now on. Your father and I don’t want anything bad to happen to you.”

I could only nod at what she said, but I wanted to know what was happening. “I’ll just see what’s going on, okay?” 

Even though my mother looked like she wanted to lock me up in my room, she let me go. “But make sure you’re not going anywhere else.”

“Thank you, mom. I’ll be back before you know it!” I went out of the house and slowly made my way to the neighbor’s house. The annoying boy who played video games at night lived there. 

I could feel my heart thump with each step I took. There was also an ambulance, frightening me even more.

“Sorry, miss. But you’re not allowed here.” The police officer, most probably the head, blocked my way. 

“Oh, sorry, sir. But I just want to know what happened there,” I explained, pointing at the house, which had these DO NOT CROSS tapes around it. 

He looked up from his notepad and pursed his lips for a moment, thinking of what to say, probably. “The boy who lived there was killed. Bruises were found all over his body.”

“Bruises?” I repeated, startled by his information.

“Yes, miss. Bruises.” He started scribbling down things again. “Do you know him?”

I shook my head, though he couldn’t see me. “Sadly, sir, I don’t.”

The police officer tipped his hat and turned around. “Well, just be careful, miss. I don’t think this is the last.”

My green eyes widened; now that was what scared me the most.

I looked over at Luke’s house. Even though we haven’t seen each other for more than a week, we were still friends. I wasn’t sure if we were more than friends, but I wouldn’t rely on a kiss for that.

I caught sight of his blonde hair by his room’s window, but a shade of black immediately replaced it. 

I lost him.