Social Funerals

A/N: Sorry, guys. This is a mini update due to tough chapter cuts and a lot of action in my personal life since last week's election. More to come Thursday--promise! c

"Jared Weaver?" Sam rounds on me as I close the door to our room.

"Well hello to you too," I say, dropping my bag to the ground and kicking my shoes under my desk.

"Do you have any idea what a douche that guy is?" Sam accuses. His face is incredulous. I know exactly how much of a douche Jared is, thanks very much.

Sam continues. "He told the entire lunch table that he was going to try to get in your pants this weekend, and then you good as gave him the green light in class."

"Oh? You have lunch with the douche?" I'm digging books out of my bag and don't bother to look up at Sam as I throw his words back in his face. I choose to ignore the barb about giving him the green light, even though I'm very certain that was not the case.

"You can't go out with that shit head."

"As far as I can tell, I'm single. And, more importantly, it's not your decision to make." My voice is calm.

"It may not be my decision, but it will be your social funeral."

I round on him, all semblance of calm obliterated. The smirk on his face tells me that he pulled the 'social funeral' card for this exact reason. Dick.

"Social funeral?" I ask, stepping up to him. "You mean like the time the entire school was texted a video of me massaging your crotch with my feet and I almost got expelled? Or do you mean the kind of social funeral one has when Brandon waves her underwear in front of the class and accuses her of screwing a 14-year old? Or—wait—are you referring to the kind of social funeral that involves fake text messages to said 14-year old? Because in case you haven't noticed yet, Sam, my social funeral took place the day I somehow wound up your freaking roommate."

I'm breathing hard, angrier even than I thought I was when we started this conversation. Damn Sam and the way he flips my emotional switch from normal to crazy. He still looks calm, though he's biting the inside of his lip and I know he wants to say something else. I can almost guarantee it's not an apology, so I cut him at the quick.

"Don't bother apologizing," I snap, grabbing a jacket from over my chair. "I'm looking forward to my date with Jared. And who knows? Maybe I will let him rock my world." I make sure the meaning isn't lost on him and can tell it's not when his eyes harden on me, the pupils dilating.

He moves to barricade the door, but I shove past him, into the hall and out to the cold October air.