Chapter 16: Шоколад

Our schedules are somewhat back to normal much to my relief. For the next few days we'll be training with the Soldier as a group, going over weapons and after those few days we'll go back to having individual sessions with him. We just finished eating breakfast and we're now on our way to the training room. I'm excited to see the Soldier but after last night I'm kind of nervous. When I woke up I wasn't even sure if last night was a dream or not, until I found Lena's bed empty. Most of the girls were quiet during breakfast but Ivan's smile still hasn't faltered since the performance. He's walking around like God just asked him to be his personal assistant.

Instead of going up the stairs to the second floor, we're led to the doors that lead outside. Footsteps can be heard from the staircase and soon the Soldier appears, stoic as ever. He opens the doors and guides us out into the cold. It isn't as cloudy as it's been for the past couple days so the sun balances out the winter air fairly well. We're escorted around the building to the clearing and the first thing I notice is 3 metal tables lined up next to each other. About 20 yards away are 6 targets shaped like the upper half of a person and there are red and white circular targets on the chest and face. Each table has 2 AK-107 assault rifles, the same ones the officers carry around and I'm just itching to get my hands on one. The Soldier stands back and waits for us to pick a table to stand at, Yelena and I go to the table that's at the far right and examine our weapon. The rifle is black, weights a little less than 4 kg, and is a little more than 940 mm long. Looking to the left, some girls have already started aiming at the targets. Soon all you can hear is the sound of gun shots but no one can quite hit the target. Lifting the rifle, I look through the scope and take aim. Pulling the trigger, I feel a jolt from the gun that's much stronger than the smaller one we used a couple days ago. I shoot a couple more times, then lower the rifle. I manage to hit the target but nowhere near the head or the chest. Lifting the rifle again, I aim and fire a couple more times. I'm able to graze the head of the target, gradually getting closer to the center but I can't seem to hit it. Milgred, who's standing at the table next to us, is the first to hit the bullseye on the chest. This encourages the other girls to try harder. Eventually, I'm able to get the bullseye on the head and the chest multiple times. Yelena turns to me with a smile, while Milgred gives me a not-so-friendly look I've never seen from her before. Looking back over at Yelena I see she hasn't hit the target once. Putting my gun down on the table, I step closer to help her.

"Put this part on your shoulder," I guide the stock of the gun to her right shoulder. "then place your left hand here. That should be easier." Lifting the rifle back up, she fires at the target and this time is able to hit it.

After another 20 minutes Milgred, Yelena, and I are the only ones who were able to hit the centers of the targets. Milgred hit hers once, Yelena was able to hit hers 6 times, and I was able to hit mine 12. I still missed a few times but I think with a little more practice I'll get the hang of it, Yelena too. Turning to face the Soldier, who I completely forgot was standing behind us, I find a man wearing a KGB uniform instead and next to him is Ivan. Ivan looks small compared to the man standing next to him. This man is tall, stocky, and hairy. Most of his face is covered in black hair and the bottom of his boots are stained red with blood. There's a trail behind him of red footprints so this must have happened recently. I know for sure it isn't the Soldier's because I can make out another set of footprints that leads back to the building, not to mention the Soldier's far to important to be killed. So who's blood is that?

"Follow me girls." The man mumbles in a gruff voice, turning around and walking back to the building with Ivan following close behind. Like a dog. We place our weapons back on the table and in a single file line we follow Ivan. As we round the building, a black van comes into view that wasn't there before. Holding the door open is Nikolay who looks ready to have a mental breakdown. Inside waiting is a few officers, the Soldier, and 4 more men wearing the same KGB uniform.