In The Middle Of Nowhere

Late at night, eleven or twelve O'Clock, she was running. Pouring raindrops, soaking her hair and clothes making them stick to her. Tears were streaming down her distressed face and she just wanted to scream. The young woman stopped dead in her tracks and found herself at the top of a bridge and a long drop. 

Staring at the drop, she thought about her life. What did she have to live for? Nothing. Who would miss her? Who would stop her? No one. She was in the middle of nowhere. No one would find her. She stepped onto the bridge and looked down for a moment.

___________

Walking and thinking; his best coping mechanism. Exploring hidden areas that were begging to be discovered seemed to a good way to his time. Especially, when sleep escaped him. How could it when she was on on his mind once again? Although it had been fourteen years, some days it felt like yesterday. 

Looking up at the black night sky, that seemed to be in the same mood as he was, his thoughts were interrupted by a dark figure standing on the top of a bridge overlooking a deadly drop. At first, he thought it was just his imagination, just his mind playing tricks on him, but looking closer the figure focussed into a person, a person who looked as if they were going to jump.

What kind of person would he be if he let this person jump? 

___________

Taking a deep breath, the young woman closed her eyes and got ready to end her life when she heard a voice.

"Wait, don't jump!"

She turned around and saw a young man who the voice belonged to. Trying to forget his presence, she looked back down towards the drop and closed her eyes to stop the tears.

"Please, don't! You have so much to live for!"

Still not turning to face him, she replied: "You don't even know me, why do you even care? I have nothing, no one," 

"Then tell me. What's your name?"

Plucking up the courage to at least face the person who was trying to save her meaningless life, she answered: "Caitlin. Caitlin Snow,"

"It's nice to meet you, Caitlin. I'm Barry, Barry Allen,"

Caitlin looked into his eyes and almost forgot why she was doing this while gazing into them. What she didn't expect to find was pain in them, something she could relate to. 

"Tell me about yourself,"

"I'm just a girl, no job, no money, no friends, no family, nothing. I'm alone,"

"Not anymore, you have me. Come on please come down from there, I can't watch you do this,"

"Then leave,"

"That's not gonna happen, Caitlin. I wouldn't be able to live with myself,"

"I'm not special. The world would be better without me," 

Her hair was straggly, her eyes were red and her clothes were sticky but she still looked beautiful to him. 

Tired of talking, she turned back around to face the drop. "Okay, that's it. If you're gonna jump then I am too," he got up next to her and looked down at the drop. Looking closer at her features, he lost the ability to speak while staring into her big brown eyes that held so much depth and pain that they were breathtaking. Noticing her trembling hands, he took one and squeezed it to comfort her.

"You need to get down!" she yelled at him over the pounding of the heavy rain and the thunder that was clapping behind them. In the distance, rods of lightning could be seen like fireworks, making the storm even heavier.

"Not unless you do,"

A huge gust of wind flew into Caitlin and she lost her balance. Falling backward, she felt two arms grip at her waist to keep her from falling. Realizing that she didn't want to fall, she flung her arms around his neck to regain her footing. For a while, they were both breathless, just holding onto each other. 

As soon as he felt that she wouldn't try to jump again, he got off of the edge and lifted her off and onto the ground and picked her up bridal style so she couldn't escape. 

Everything went fuzzy after that for Caitlin. She fell asleep in his arms and when she woke she was in an unknown place...