Chapter 4

(*contains blood, swearing*)
--------------------------------------------

For the rest of your shift, the time hardly seems to move at all. Store policy is that you're not allowed to have your phone on your person while you're working, so your phone is in a locker in the back room. Your phone, with which, in a few hours, you will be able to get in touch with Dan Howell.

You've read and reread the little slip of paper millions of times when you were supposed to be working. Your folding was unusually sub par, seeing as you were only thinking of the thousands of possible texts you could send him. Literally nothing you do makes the time go any faster, until finally, after agonizingly slow hours, you check your watch and see that it's 6:00. You're finally free.

You practically run to the back room, ripping off your headset and placing in haphazardly back on the wall.

"Wow, somebody's in a hurry. You got a date or something? That one tall guy was really cute if it's with anyone I hope it's with him," chirps Maddy as you clumsily scoop up your purse and phone from your locker.

"Dude you have no idea," you mutter, rushing out the door. "I'll see you tomorrow ok? I'll update you if there's anything worth updating don't worry."

You look down at your phone and see a couple of notifications, but the one that catches your eye the most is that Dan Howell tweeted something at around 1:30 pm. Your heart pounds as you open it.

@danisnotonfire: not my usual aesthetic but hey I made it work

Holy shit. You go to like it, then stop, your thumb hovering over your screen. If you actually text him and he actually wants to see you again...he can't know that you're a crazy obsessed stalker fan girl? If he asks you your twitter or something he can't know that you follow him and have liked literally every single one of his tweets?

You've reached the escalator on the tube at this point, and realize that if you're gonna text him you should do it now before you lose service. You've got less than a minute before you're underground for a solid half hour, so you frantically put in the number from the piece of paper and type:

hey, Dan? It's (y/n), from Victoria's Secret :)

Send.

Your heart is pounding. It says delivered, but now you're completely underground, so if he does answer you won't get it until you basically get home. You find your stop, hop on the tube, and wait. You can't help checking your phone, even though you know nothing's there. You look so anxious that a lady asks you if you're alright. "I'm fine, just had a lot of caffeine," you lie. She doesn't look convinced but shakes her head and sits far away from you.

Finally, your station is announced by the automated voice and you practically jump out of your seat, dashing out of the train and running up the escalator, taking two steps at a time. You're so busy staring down at your phone that you miss a step, and as you reach the top of the escalator your foot catches, sending you flying.

A sharp pain erupts from your elbow as it makes contact with the jagged edge of the escalator step, and you try to brace yourself with your hands but your momentum is too much, and the side of your face smacks into the ground. People around you gasp, some even laughing. Your eyes start to well with tears, searing pain throbbing from all over your body as you pick yourself up and limp towards the exit. You managed to hold on to your phone, and upon a glance you realize that you have new messages. All the pain temporarily subsides as you read:

ah yes how could I forget the person who literally blackmailed me into buying their company's product-isn't that illegal?

but yeah hey, what's up?

hello?

Godammit. He probably thinks you're ignoring him or playing hard to get when in reality you're just a clumsy twat. Your hands are shaking and you can hardly see because of the tears in your eyes, but you manage to type out shakily:

sorry, not ignoring you, too busy tripping up the escalator on the tube, you can relate lol

You hit send a millisecond before you realize. You freeze mid step. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I can't believe I just said that. No random stranger would know that he tripped up an escalator, fuck!! You realize now that you're bleeding, a lot. You need to get your elbow clean quickly. Your phone vibrates.

um wow not only are you a pro blackmailer but I guess you're a psychic too, I've literally done that how did you know

You don't think, just type:

oh really? I just meant like, everyone's done it at some point, yanno? like that's just kind of a relatable thing idk I didn't know you'd done it specifically idk sorry haha

God you're so pathetic and rambly, but you're just trying to cover for yourself and pretend like you don't know every single detail about this boy already. The adrenaline is wearing off and you're aware of the pain in your elbow and face steadily growing worse, and you limp your way to your apartment, fumbling with your keys. You stumble through the door and towards your bathroom, where, as you just moved in, there are no medical supplies to be found.

um gotcha, are you ok?

no actually, im bleeding a lot and I just moved in so my place has literally no medical supplies.

where do u live I'm on my way (in the least creepy way possible)

You type in your address, too shaken to add anything else. Dan Howell was on his way to your flat. Your whole body is shaking, both from pain and anticipation. You go into your freezer, grab some ice, and collapse onto the couch. You've gotten some paper towels to soak up the blood, but it's still bleeding heavily and you hope he gets there soon. Your vision starts to go a little hazy and you think that you've probably got a concussion from hitting your head. Finally a knock on your door jerks you out of your stupor.