Lightning Rider (Excerpt Only) - Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

Told you so. This guy's a real piece of work.

A harassed-looking nurse popped her head through the doorway. "Everything all right in here?"

Andie was so stunned by Bradley's highhandedness, she was unable to form actual words and could only manage a nod for the nurse.

"We're experiencing some minor power fluctuations on this floor." The nurse hurried over to Andie's beside and gave the diagnostic equipment a cursory inspection. "Nothing to be concerned about. I'm sure it'll be sorted soon."

She rushed from the room before Bradley could think of an appropriate response, and deprived of his victim, he shut his mouth with a snap.

Andie gave him narrowed, mega-pissed-off eyes. "You... you... gave notice to my landlord? What on earth makes you think you have the right to do that?"

She itched to grab him by his immaculate lapels and scream in his face. How bloody dare he! The instant Bradley left her in peace she would ring her landlord, and assure the man she had no intention of giving up her apartment, and demand that he—

Oh oh. Light bulb moment. Maybe she would let it slide because it would be a blessing in disguise. She could give her notice to Dickwad—which would be a singular pleasure—and move back in with her parents for a while. Create some distance from Bradley. Insist that he make the trek to Moab if he wanted to see her. Yeah. He loathed Moab. This might work out to her advantage, after all.

Now you're thinking smart, Karylon said.

"And another thing, darling," Bradley said. "When were you going to confess about your work difficulties?"

Huh? "Whatever do you mean?"

"Richard informs me there's been an incident."

"An incident? Really. Yes, well, that's one way of describing it, I suppose." Andie snorted and rolled her eyes. The "incident" had been her finally getting fed up, and warning Dickwad that the next time he groped her ass she would file a sexual harassment charge. She wondered how Bradley would react if she told him flat-out that his pal Richard was a sleaze.

"I pulled quite a few strings to get you that executive assistant position, Andrea. You were hardly the most qualified applicant for the job. You wouldn't have had the faintest chance if I hadn't put in a good word for you with Richard."

Straw, meet camel's back.

Andie so was not going to take this lying down. "Richard may be one of your biggest clients, Bradley, but he's also a pretentious, ass-grabbing bastard, who delights in making my life—and the life of everyone with the misfortune to work in his office—a misery. He treats all his female employees like we were put on this earth to tempt him. And believe me, he's always tempted."

"Still, not to worry, darling. I've smoothed things over with Richard. And we're agreed that as you're a little too nervy to master such a demanding role, Richard will cut back your hours and lighten your load. No more overtime for you!" He waggled his finger in her face as though she was a child caught with one hand in the cookie jar instead of a grown woman.

"I can understand why you didn't confide in me," he said, oblivious to her growing fury. "A little embarrassing for you to have to finally confront the fact that you don't cope well under pressure, eh?" He plastered what he probably imagined was a sympathetic expression on his face.

She blew out a breath from between clenched teeth. He hadn't bothered to listen to a word she'd just said. Insufferable, arrogant, asshole.

As Novik would say, fornicating fuck-nosed lightning bugs! This guy doesn't let up, does he?