XX. Finish The Mission

They had finally arrived at the Triskelion. Steve, Connie, Sam, and Maria all stood at the entrance to the Triskelion control room, waiting on someone at the opposite to answer. Sam, Connie, and Maria all had their guns cocked and aimed just in case whoever appeared on the other side of the door appeared to be a threat, while Steve waited behind them in all of his Captain America glory.

After several seconds of waiting, the door finally opened to reveal one of the control room workers. The startled man held his hands up at the sight of the numerous firearms being aimed at him, and at Steve's words, he kindly allowed the four of them inside. Connie and Maria kept their weapons in hand; both of them scanned the room while Sam and Steve worked with one of the workers to access the intercom.

Despite the fact that the workers wore S.H.I.E.L.D. uniforms, none of them could be trusted. S.H.I.E.L.D. had been compromised by Hydra, so there was no telling just how many of them in the room were working with Hydra as well. If any of them made a move to threaten her or the team, especially Steve, she had no problem shooting them on the spot. She was just in that mood today; she had a mission to complete, and she refused to allow anyone to compromise it for her.

Connie's attention shot over to Steve, though she tried to keep her eyes on the room's occupants.

"Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, this is Steve Rogers," the Captain spoke into the intercom. "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down, but I think it's time for you to know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was; it's been taken over by Hydra. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The S.T.R.I.K.E. and Insight crew are Hydra as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you.

"They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury, and it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, Hydra will be able to kill anyway that stands in their way. . .unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high—it always has been—and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it, but I'm willing to bet I'm not."

Connie finally lowered her gun and slowly walked towards Steve.

"Did you write that down first?" Sam asked with a small smile on his face. "Or was it off the top of your head?"

"I'm pretty sure it was off the top of his head," Connie said to Sam with a smile on her face as she looked up at Steve. "I'm proud of you, Steve."

"Thanks, kid," Steve smiled at her. "Let's say we get movin'."

Sam, Steve, and Connie quickly made their way outside, thought they weren't given much time at all before Maria's voice sounded in their ear.

"They're initiating launch," she informed the trio.

The three of them began running towards the bay where the helicarriers were lifting off.

"Hey, Cap," Sam called over the roar of the helicarrier engines. "How do we know the good guys from the bad guys?"

"If they're shooting at you, they're bad."

"Got it," he said before taking off into the sky.

Steve and Connie continued running, and before long the two of them were leaping off the edge of the bay doors and down onto the helicarrier below. Connie landed gracefully on her feet, just as she always did, while Steve used his shield to break his fall. The two ran together for several seconds, only splitting up when they were shot at. Steve took one side of the helicarrier, while Connie took the other side.