Chapter 9: Figure it out

I knock on Alex's door the next morning to see if he would like to walk to the bus stop together. I haven't forgotten what I saw the day before but I had to act as if I hadn't found anything weird or suspicious about him. I feel like I appeared to be suspicious with the locket around my neck, tucked under my plain black t-shirt and bouncing on the balls of my feet. Then again, I don't usually knock and ask to go for walk out of the blue so oh well. I hear footsteps coming from within the unit and take a step back before the door hits me in the face. I rubbed my hands together so I don't lose my confidence on approaching Alex, especially after what I found yesterday. He's dressed in a plain black tee, similar to mine, white skinny jeans,and some vintage jordans that had come out centuries ago. He leans on the door, half way inside and the other half outside.

  "Hey, Alma. What's up?" a small smile on his face.

  "Uh, I was wondering if you'd like the pleasure to walk with me to the bus stop. If you aren't busy, of course."

  "Eh, I wouldn't mind walking with you, I guess. Let me just get my satchel."

  "Okay, I'll wait here then," I mumble as he closes his door in my face.

  "Okay, let's go."

  We make our way to the bus stop, failing horribly with our small talk. Before we approach Cris and Jo, I ask him the question that I knew would alter our friendship, or whatever we have,

  "Uhm, Alex, I don't know how to ask this but.."

  He throws me a panicked look.

  "..why do you have this locket and why do you have a picture of us together as younger children when I've never met you before a few days ago?"

  He chokes on his saliva before he answers me but not with an explanation, no he wouldn't do that. Instead, he answers me with another question,

  "Where'd you get that? And why in this life would you wear it?!"

  He seems angry with me for wearing the locket around my neck. I feel the shockingly cold metal now and the hairs on the back of my neck rise with the sudden revelation that he knows something. I interpret what he says and comprehend that he used "in this life" instead of "in the world". Usually, I wouldn't question it, but now that I know he has skeletons in his closet, I have to find out what it is if it has me involved.

  "Because I need to know what you are hiding and why I'm included in this photo," I state bluntly.

  I show him the picture of us when we were younger that was strategically placed inside the locket. As he sees the picture, I see his face unravel and become despaired and nostalgic. I assume that the locket holds some sentimental value towards him.

  "I-I can't tell you, it's not time yet. I will tell you soon, I assure you but not yet. I'm so sorry."

  His face crumples as he finishes his sentence but I don't care, I just need to know desperately because these could lead to important information about anything. My Dad's death. What he was doing, breaking into my unit. So many questions with no answers to resolve my uneasiness.

  "But I don't understand. Please just tell me for goodness sake at least give me a clue!"

  I was upset. At him for holding answers, not within my reach, my dad for leaving me, my mom for not being home, the world for being unfair to me. I don't deserve this, I've never done anything wrong. Not in school, or at home. I'm a nobody.

  "They're looking for you. That's all you will know for now. Keep the necklace, I have a matching ring for it."

  He looks at me with regret and hurt then walks away towards the bus. I hadn't noticed it arrive to pick us up but Jo and Cris had already boarded, hopefully not hearing a word that Alex and I had exchanged. Am I upset, yes? Am I hurt, a little? But I'm mostly sad. I feel as if he holds the answer as to why my mom doesn't come home as much anymore, why my dad had to leave so soon. He has all the answers to my questions. I just need to find the right questions to ask. I board the bus and sit in my usual seat, by myself. I stare out of the window like actors do in the movies except without the dramatic music. I don't know why I depend on Alex so much if I just met him a couple of days ago but I feel this gravitational pull towards him. I feel as if he's the one person who truly knows me.

  No, I'm not a lovesick puppy who just wants someone to love them. I'm just a girl who's lost and needs to find a way out of this madness. One way or another, I will find answers. I promise you that.

x x x x x

  "Well, look who it is. My dear old friend, Alma," she smirks at me. I roll my eyes, asking myself why I had to be tortured on a beautiful day like today(note the sarcasm).

  "Hey, Bridget! I didn't notice you with your constipated face and fake lashes," I scoff, clearly irritated with her snobby attitude.

  "Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today."

  "Somebody decided to talk to me today," I mocked her.

  "Okay, well let's just get over today's pleasantries and get to the point. Do you know if Alex is seeing anyone? If not, put in a good word for me, yea?"

  "No, Bridget, I don't know. But if he isn't seeing anyone, I am sure as hotdogs that he isn't interested in a little potato like you," I growl, most likely making it seem as if I have some sort of attachment to Alex.

  But let's be honest here, Bridget just doesn't seem to be his type or any other guy's type. Except for the fact that she's hooked up and dated almost the whole male population at Commonwealth High School.

  "Still, he'll come around, they all do," she smirks.

  "Wow, Bridget. Cocky much?"

  "Whatever." She walks away, a sway to her hips that makes it seem as if she has a really bad limp.

  Okay, then. I roll my eyes at how ridiculous Bridget is. He wouldn't fall for her oh so perfect charms. Would he? Now that I think about it, I don't know Alex very much to make the assumption that he won't fall for Bridget. I'm so lost in my thoughts that I bump into a person walking in the opposite direction as me. I feel a strong hand reach out to steady me from falling face first on the floor, again. Jeez, I'm clumsy. I hear a cough that was intentionally made to get my attention,

  "Hey, um, Alma. I was thinking about what you said this morning and I was wondering if you'd forget you and I ever spoke to each other about it. Okay?"

  Of course, it's none other than Alex himself. I sigh aloud, indicating my exhaustion from all of this secretiveness.

  "Yea, of course, Alex. Whatever you want. It's not like I'm involved in any of this or anything," I spit out at him, glaring.

  "What? No, it's just that I need time. Please, give me some time and you'll know everything," he gives me a puppy dog eyed look.

  "I really don't care anymore, Alex."

  "Did I do something? Why are you mad at me," he furrows his eyebrows, a look of confusion written across his face.

  "Why don't you try and figure it out yourself for once," I walk away without another word to my last block.

  As I turned the corner, I saw Alex still in the middle of the hallway where I had left him and a look of heartbreak on his face. When, really, it should be me with heartbreak inscribed across my forehead. He doesn't trust me and the sting is still sharp and painful. I know I shouldn't trust strangers, but I know that somehow I feel as if I've known Alex my entire life and that's what scares me the most. I shouldn't be feeling this way because I will only be betrayed. I understand what I have to do now. I have to do this, on my own. I don't need Alex to tell me because I hope to already know by the time he's ready to tell me himself. I will be ready.

A/N

QOTC (Questions Of The Chapter):

Will Alma break? Or will she withstand the unknown? Will Alex be ready to tell her before she finds out?

Besos, Cass