Chapter 16

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope you all have an amazing day filled with happiness!

Thanks for reading,

Lauren xx

Chapter 16

   Sitting in a scorching classroom with a broken air conditioner, while listening to Mr. Chamberlin’s monotonous voice, was agonising. It was the last class of the year and my motivation to learn had disappeared the moment Mr. Chamberlin started talking. There was something about his voice that irritated me more than other teacher’s. He was just so boring. Whenever I attempted to listen to him mumble about logarithms and exponential functions, I’d find myself on the brink of falling asleep. At least I had Adrian to entertain me during maths classes. Well, kind of. He, too, was dying of boredom.

   On the positive side there was less than half an hour–to be precise, 28 minutes and 57 seconds–left until school holidays. I had nothing better to do than mentally countdown the minutes and seconds until class ended. However, staring at the clock which was hanging above the door didn’t help either. For some reason watching the handles of the clock tick by made time go slower. Unless I was going insane. Yeah, that seemed like a plausible explanation.

    “I don’t think I can survive another minute in here,” I whispered carefully to Adrian. I didn’t fancy receiving another detention from Mr. Chamberlin, especially not one during the holidays.

   Adrian nodded in agreement and said, “I have a plan. I’ll kill Mr. Chamberlin while you go and get the car so we can make the run for it.”

   I couldn’t tell if he was joking or not. “Sounds like a great plan.”

   “Of course it is. I’m a genius after all.”

   “Crazy egocentric man,” I mumbled quietly to myself.

   I rested my head on the table and used my arm as a pillow. A few minutes later, I felt someone poke my forehead. I didn’t even have to look up to know who the culprit was.

    “What are you doing?” I asked Adrian who he quickly dropped his pencil onto the table with a bored and guilty expression.

    “Umm, nothing,” he replied.

    “You’re so weird.” Instead of being offended at my remark, he simply grinned. I told Adrian this on a daily basis and he’d always take it as a compliment. His ego was big enough already. It would probably explode at any moment now if I wasn’t careful with accidental compliments.

   To pass the time, I decided to French braid my hair because it was way too hot to leave my hair down. Summer began two weeks ago and the temperature was already soaring to the mid-thirties. I didn’t mind the heat but not when I was stuck in a classroom instead of going to the beach or relaxing in a pool. Braiding my hair was slightly harder to do than usual without a mirror but I wasn’t concerned about my appearance today. All I wanted was to get out of the classroom and hang out with my friends.

   I looked at the clock again and there was 20 minutes and five seconds left. Mr. Chamberlin finally finished writing notes on the whiteboard and explaining to us what he wrote. I scanned the room and saw that no one else copied down his notes. At times like this I kind of felt sorry for him but he didn’t even notice that his students weren’t listening to him. That says a lot about his teaching skills. I took out my phone from my pocket and took a photo of the whiteboard. Usually I was a diligent student who copied down notes neatly using a colour coded system with highlighters but today I was not in the mood. I mean, it was the last twenty minutes of the class. Who could blame an extremely bored teenager?