My command of these seas.”

            “Bloody ballocking hell. How?” Andre stared at his father, for once noticing the age road-mapped upon his face. The pouches around the eyes a testament to his wild living, the gray snaking through hair as long as a girl’s. He looked ready to lose his birthright.

The older man wiped a hand down his face, averted his eyes as he answered, “A little known code, I’m afraid. If the Commandant does not have a line to pass his command to, another pirate can challenge his leadership. I’m being challenged.”

            “By whom? What am I? I’m your line.” Not that he wanted the command. As far as he was concerned his father could rule till the end of time. Andre lived to plunder, both ships and strumpets. Sitting in this dark hovel would send him to Bedlam.

            His father rounded on him, roared, “A line that ends. You’re nearly thirty-five years old. You have no wife, no offspring, not even any by-blows. I’m going to lose my title because my randy son can’t stop dipping his wick into every whore in every port.”

            “Like father, like son, eh, Papa?” Andre sneered, feeling trapped.

            Out of nowhere his father backhanded him across his mouth, snarled, “I was faithful to your mother, you hapless cur. A trait which obviously by-passed you.”

            Andre rubbed his now puffy lips, wiggled his jaw. Silently acknowledged his father was right. Louis Dubois had loved the woman he’d married, Andre’s mother, and had never strayed. After she’d died of smallpox, if he’d looked for release elsewhere he’d done it in secret. Suspiciously wary, Andre circled his father, just out of arm’s reach.

            “I apologize, Papa. I did not mean to besmirch Maman. Or you. Who is challenging you?”

            Apparently mollified by Andre’s apology, Louis said quietly, “Anton Bellard, Confederation captain of the Sargasso Sea. You have a well-known reputation, Andy, of never settling down. Bellard wants my command, although he proposed a solution that might satisfy everyone concerned.”

            Andre narrowed his eyes on his father, said slowly, “I’m neither concerned nor involved. How do I fit in?”

            Louis visibly squirmed.

            “A marriage between our two families would satisfy Bellard. His only daughter and my only son. Our families unite, become a strong pirate merger--”

            “Oh, damn me to hell, I knew I would have to save the day somehow. You bugger up your life and I’m supposed to bugger mine to save you? You’re rich, old man--” Andre felt the noose tightening around his neck, paced the room in agitation.

            “It’s your life, too, boy. You can’t sail forever. The sea is a demanding mistress. Your body will give out before your spirit, and then where will you be, eh? Alone and lonely? Think about it, Andy, just, think about it.