"Don't worry, Savannah," he said. "I'm going to figure something out."

  He got up and left, grabbing the phone on the way. I turned the TV on, to only see the Lakers were beating the Celtics. I groaned and turned it back off. I don't want to see my team lose!

   After a few minutes of wallowing in my misery, I got up to sulk in my room. I opened the cream colored door and slammed it behind me. My room is plain; green walls, a bookcase filled with books, grey carpet, a small closet, and a little basketball hoop hanging on the back of my door. I stared at it for a few moments, then ripped it down.

    I flopped on my bed and buried my face in my pillow. As I laid there and cried, I started a pity party. Why didn't anyone want me? I know I'm good. So why is it that no one offered me a scholarship? Listen to me. I sound like a spoiled brat.

   Someone pounding on my door brought me out of my cry fest. "Savannah!" It was Ethan. He got a key and unlocked the door. I glared at him, swiping at my eyes hurriedly. "It's Uncle Derrick," he said. "He wants to talk to you." I sat up.

   He handed me the phone. "Uncle Derrick?" I said. He's the assistant coach for the boys' UConn team. How he managed that, I don't know. He was actually a really good basketball player back in the day. He's about forty five now.

     "It's me," he said. "I heard you didn't get the scholarship." I stayed silent. "Listen, sweetie," he said. "I know you must be feeling really down right now, but I have a proposistion for you. I talked to your brother about it, and he thinks it's as good an idea as any."

     I sucked in a breath. Was he going to pull strings and get me on the girls' team? "I know what you're thinking," he said. "You think I'm going to get you on the girls' team. That's not going to happen. The team is already big enough. They have twenty on their team. That's more than enough.

   "What I'm going to say is a huge surprise." He paused for dramatic effect. "I can get you on the boys' team. They have fifteen on their team, so what's one more? You might be thinking that it's not allowed. I talked with the coach, and he said it would be alright. The boys probably won't give you any trouble." I took a deep breath. The boys' team?

    "But won't the refs say anything?" I asked.

   "Well, not if you don't actually play," he said. I winced. "The refs aren't a problem. The boys won't care if you're on their team. They might actually come to be your friends." I looked at the bed.

     "So," I said. "What you're saying is.. you can get me on a UConn team, but it has to be the boys'?" I heard him let out a breath.

     "Yes, hun," he said. "You can be on a UConn team."

   I thought about it for a minute. "Wait, what will Mom say?" I asked. He hummed.

   "Well," he said. "I was hoping you could just tell her you're going to be on the girls' team. I doubt she would let you be on the guys' team." I looked at the ceiling.

      "Isn't Ethan going to flip out?" I asked. Uncle Derrick laughed.

      "No," he said. "I asked him about it first."

   I closed my eyes. I already knew my answer. It's the only one I could think of. "Yes," I said. "Yes, I want to." I heard him make an approving noise.

    "You really mean that?" he asked. "It's going to be a lot of work." I nodded even though he couldn't see me.

     "Yes, I mean it," I said. "I'm going to Connecticut."