Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"You look beautiful."

I looked up at Ben and smiled as he said this. Currently, I am dressed in a light pink sun dress with flip flops. I'm not sure where he's taking us. I just felt like looking pretty.

"Thanks," I said. "You don't look bad yourself." And he didn't. He's wearing dark jeans with a light green button down shirt rolled up to his elbows. "So... where are you taking us?"

Ben smiled. "Well, it's nothing special. I just felt like taking you here," he said. He helped me in his car and started driving somewhere. I was silent for the drive, which was very short. He stopped at what looked like an arcade.

I glanced up at Ben. "Is this an arcade?" I asked. He nodded, eyes sparkling. "I know what we should play." I smiled, looking up at Ben through my eyelashes.

I saw him gulp a little as I ran off. I pulled out two quarters and slid them in the machine before getting ready. The basketballs slid down and fit easily in my hands. I didn't look down as I threw ball after ball towards the rim. A little more than half went in, but I was nowhere near the record for the machine.

I turned to Ben with a small pout on my face. He laughed. "My turn now," he said.

His score was a little higher than mine, but I just attributed that to the fact that I wasn't warmed up. We took a few more turns, and I made sure his score was never higher than mine.

"Hey, can we play those car games?" I asked. He chuckled again.

"Of course, if you want me to kick your butt," he said, sliding coins into both of our machines. I gave him a warm smile, until his words registered in my mind.

"Hey!" I said, laughing. "Take that back!"

He shook his head as we chose our car and power-up. I chose the boosts of course. I would need them. The game started and I floored the gas, trying to get past everyone. Near the end of the game, it was just Ben and I. There was a mile left in the course, and I still had one boost left. Ben had used all of his up. I could see out of the corner of my eye that he knew he was going to win, but he hadn't noticed I still had one boost left.

As soon as I saw the finish line, I used my last boost, to get myself ahead of him. He didn't know what hit him.

I turned to him with a smirk, crossing my arms. "I told you I would win," I said.

He stood up quickly, and I saw a red blush on the top of his ears. "You cheated," he muttered. I laughed, pushing on his shoulder.

We played games for another hour until we both decided it was time to eat something. I put the dolphin stuffed animal I won on Ben's shoulder. He laughed and took it off, grabbing my hand with his other.

I stared down at his hand for a moment and then back up at his face. He gave me a smile that showed he has a small dimple on one side.

"So, what now?" I asked. "I mean, I am pretty hungry..."

"Well, where do you want to go?" Ben asked. I thought for a moment.

"I kinda really want pizza," I said. "Can we go to Domino's? I haven't been there in forever and I want to see if it still tastes like crap." He laughed.

"Whatever you like, Savannah," he said. We got to his car and we both got in. He drove about five minutes to the pizza place, and as soon as we got in, I was hit with the smell of sauce. I took this as a good sign.

I ordered two pieces of plain and a piece of barbeque chicken pizza. We made small talk while waiting for our pizza. It was never really awkward, but I felt like I was grasping at things to keep the conversation going. Maybe I was imagining it, but every so often, Ben would glance down at me like he was surprised. At what I was saying? I wasn't sure.