Six: Snow White likes Skittles

Start from the beginning

     "Yeah yeah. It's no big deal, Squirt." He said as he awkwardly patted her head.

     Sophia tore open the pack of skittles as we walked out of the store.

     "What color do you want, Mommy?" She asked me, digging through the bag. 

     "Red," I answered as I unlocked the car.

     She handed me two red skittles and asked Zack the same question.

     "Actually I forgot something in the store. You two go ahead and head back." He told us as he turned on his heel, heading back into Walmart.

     Shrugging him off, Sophia and I climbed into our seats and we headed home.

     We got home and Sophia went straight to the TV with her skittles. After scanning the few movies we had, she picked Tangled and stuck it into the DVD player.

     "Come watch Tangled with me!" Her high voice called all the way to me in the kitchen where I was getting ready to mop.

     "I will when I'm done cleaning!" I called back. Sophia had spilled tea on the floor a few days ago and didn't get all the sticky residue up.

     I heard the intro of the movie begin to play when there was a knock on our door.

     "I'll get it!" Sophia called, jumping off the couch.

     "Ask who it is first!" I told her, moving to where I could see the door.

     "Who is it?" She asked as she pressed her ear to the door.

     "The little mermaid." A female voice echoed from the opposite side.

     Sophia's eyes widened as she swung the door open for Sky. The red-haired child trapped in an adult body ran into my apartment, picking Sophia up along the way. With my daughter squealing and Sky making a strange animal noise, they crashed onto the couch.

     "Mommy has to clean. Will you watch Tangled with me?" Sophia asked as she sat up on the couch.

     "Well duh!" Sky blurted out. Now I know where Sophia gets that from. "Do you have any popcorn?" She asked my child.

     "She had skittles, she doesn't need popcorn!" I called from the kitchen, finishing up the mopping.

     I heard Sophia complain but I rolled my eyes and put the mop away. It was about lunchtime so I was getting ready to make sandwiches when Sky came into the kitchen.

     "She's not getting popcorn," I told her before she could even try to negotiate.

     She rolled her eyes and smiled. "I'll have you know I came here for a hug." Sky said as she walked towards me with her arms open.

     We gave each other a tight hug and I joked. "Sorry. I just assumed you came to defy my parenting again."

     "Not all the time." Sky replied. "Go take a nap." She told me.

      Not sure I heard correctly I asked "What?"

     "You're exhausted. Go take a nap before work tonight. That's why I'm here early." She told me.

     "How'd you know I'd be tired?" I asked her.

     "Because you have Sophia as a daughter." She said like it was obvious.

     I laughed and said "I don't have time for a nap. I have to make lunch and then study-"

     "I'll make lunch and you can study when you wake up." Sky cut me off.