XXXIX. Sonic the Hedgehog

Start from the beginning

I shook my head and pulled my arm away. "Thanks. I guess I didn't blow up."

"No, I don't think so. I feel warm and stronger. Why not give some of this power to everyone else?"

"There's not enough time. We have to get moving - you're right, we've wasted enough time as it is already. Come on!"

I flew ahead of Robin, hoping that my energy would at least help him run faster or something. I decided not to stay back and tell him that he was Rainbow Robin, Defender of All Things Colorful. Though thinking about it brought a smile to my face, which is always helpful in a time of crisis.

The dust cloud that Slade was making his home for the moment was growing stronger, and I wasn't entirely sure I wouldn't blow away. I managed to get through it and get to the middle of it, and could only hope that Robin could make it through without being blown back to the tower.

"Slade!" I shouted, descending to the ground a good eight feet away from him. "I have to stop the portal, so back off!"

Slade didn't move, so I slowly walked closer and closer, until I was close enough to shake his hand. I moved to the side of him, coming face to face with the crack in the air. It didn't look like anything had come out, so there was still time. I pressed my hand against it, and for a moment, I stood there with my hand on it. Cold air seemed to be flowing from it, as if it was a random air vent. I shook my head and started to use Chaos Control on it, thinking of sending it far into the deep abyss of space, when Slade's hand came out and punched me in the face, which sent me suspiciously far - like, really far. Like he had some unknown powerful force in his hand. Or his body. Or his mind. Or, you know, all three.

I sat back up, staring at him. He was glowing with an evil purple force around him. "Oh. So I was too late. That... sucks."

Slade laughed, as if what I said was funny. "Looks like you aren't as fast as you think you are, fool. Now you and all the Teen Titans will face their demise, all because you had to go save your precious Robin."

"Yeah, usually friends try to keep their friends alive." I said, standing back up.

"Not that he would know anything about friends, Sonic." Robin said. He looked surprisingly angry for having a rainbow around him. "This is Slade we're talking about. He probably doesn't even love his own daughter."

"Shut up!" Slade screamed, running at Robin. They ran into each other with such force that the ground shook.

"Hey!" I shouted.

"Sonic!" Robin shouted. "Close the portal! Now!"

"I can't!" I shouted. "Not while whatever Slade has is still here. We have to get it back inside."

"We won't have time!" Robin said, throwing Slade to the side. Robin stood and looked at me, then at the air vent crack in the air. "Get her!" He screamed as Slade ran his blade through him.

For a second, I was too shocked to move. Then I remembered the Chaos Emeralds. "It'll heal!" I shouted to Robin. Then I looked at the portal and shouted, "get away from that!"

Anne had the same energy around her that Slade did, and she was standing in front of the portal. "How are you two still alive? I killed Robin."

"Nah, see, you have to make sure he's dead or he gets back up." I smiled, rushing at her. "Heroes are super annoying that way." 

I didn't want to close the portal if the energy Slade and Anne possessed was still in them, but I wasn't sure that I would have a choice. The crack was growing bigger, and I didn't want to risk this energy getting into the civilians. I'm sure Robin and Tails would be able to find a way to contain the energy.