The Book

Chapter 7 

They had found Sam and then taken Bucky to an old abandoned warehouse. There was an old vice and Steve and Sam watched as Abi grabbed a chair and placed it by it. She took Bucky from Steve and put him in the chair before securing his metal arm in the vice. She then walked into the adjoining room and sat on the only other chair and put her head in her hands. The other two followed.

"You gonna tell us what happened?" Sam asked.

"The doctor... He had the book. Where the hell did he get it from?" Abi muttered to herself.

"Abi, what book?" Steve questioned.

"The book." She said looking up at them. "The book the Russians used it's got everything in it. All our programming the words, the built-in safety; everything you would need to know about us."

"So, the doctor read from this book?" Sam said.

"We each have a list of words. If the words are read in the correct order, in Russian... It wipes the memory and results in compliance." Abi more or less whispered the last part.

"So, he's the winter soldier again." Steve said.

"Not necessarily. He hit his head pretty hard, he should be back. We'll just have to wait until he wakes up." Abi told him.

"The doctor, who was he? What did he want?" Steve questioned.

"I don't know who he was. He's not Hydra. I don't know I've never seen him before." Abi leaned back and Sam walked back into the other room to watch Bucky. "I don't know what he wanted. I'd pretty much lost it by that point." She looked at her bloody, healing knuckles.

"We're gonna get through this, Abi." Steve assured her.

"That's what it thought two days ago. I was going to bring him back, Steve. I really wanted to call I did."

"I know. It's not your fault all of this." Steve said.

Abi chuckled. "Isn't it. I should have caught the doctor's intentions before I did. I should have come back sooner... For Peggy and Wanda. He said he was ready to go back, Steve. I thought it was too risky with the accords. I should have listened to him."

"You would never have known." Steve said.

"That still doesn't make it any better."